SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 18th Nov - better seeing after midnight here in London

jimness

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I havent seen a jupiter image that good in a long time. I found seeing REALLY rubbish lastnight, didn't stay out later than 11pm though.

Thanks! Yeah it was rubbish for a while but turned a significant corner just at midnight. I only really noticed the difference when starting to process these today, as I was recording remotely to help minimise wobble in my wooden shed (except when the cats leap all over it)

These were a whopping 3 mins per channel, by the way. Think I sussed where I was going wrong with Winjupos at last (cheers Freddie)

Hi Jim so did you just shoot 3 min sequences and then input the mid time point. There is a way to take out more rotation by shooting 1 min sequences and de roating the RGBS and combining into RGBS before doing the final de rotate rgb frames. Although here it hardly looks like it needs it

Wow, many thanks for the comments all!

Hi Jim so did you just shoot 3 min sequences and then input the mid time point. There is a way to take out more rotation by shooting 1 min sequences and de roating the RGBS and combining into RGBS before doing the final de rotate rgb frames. Although here it hardly looks like it needs it

I started by de-rotating each AVI using a stacked image of the original AVIs as the reference image. As per Freddie's suggestion I've started using the start of the capture rather than the mid-point as the input time, as that's more or less what the stack was aligned on in AS!2. Then after stacking again in AS!2 and adding wavelets in Reg 5 (really only slider 1), the RGBs were de-rotated again using the start of the capture as the input time.

Another thing I've stopped doing is using the R image as luminance and just sticking with good old RGB - I got a much smoother result that way. Dunno why I ever went down the RRGB route now.

Anyway all this took ages so good job I had a sick day yesterday (!) - oh and not helped by discovering that de-rotating doesn't work when your original captures are upside-down :embarassed:

Jim

Wow, many thanks for the comments all!

I started by de-rotating each AVI using a stacked image of the original AVIs as the reference image.

Anyway all this took ages so good job I had a sick day yesterday (!) - oh and not helped by discovering that de-rotating doesn't work when your original captures are upside-down :embarassed:

Jim

Hi Jim, sorry do you mean you did a video de rotation to begin with ? I understand the benefit of using 1 min seqences over a 3 min red would be to take out the rotation, of the 3 min red sequence, using de rotation of images. And then combining the 3 reds. and de rotating all 3 RGBs ( done in the same way ) now finally ending with using de rotate rgb frames.

Your reference frame would have to be chosen near the begining Jim, to do a start time input. if quality selection was used anywhere in the stack this likely wouldnt work as the begining frames would be re sorted ? Sorry i am trying to understand your process. It certainly looks like its worked. Very detailed image.

Hi Jim, sorry do you mean you did a video de rotation to begin with ? I understand the benefit of using 1 min seqences over a 3 min red would be to take out the rotation, of the 3 min red sequence, using de rotation of images. And then combining the 3 reds. and de rotating all 3 RGBs ( done in the same way ) now finally ending with using de rotate rgb frames.

Your reference frame would have to be chosen near the begining Jim, to do a start time input. if quality selection was used anywhere in the stack this likely wouldnt work as the begining frames would be re sorted ? Sorry i am trying to understand your process. It certainly looks like its worked. Very detailed image.

Hi Neil,

Yes, I de-rotated the AVIs as a first step - although as this process requires a reference image, I made that reference image by just stacking the non-derotated avi.

And yes, I chose a reference frame near the beginning in AS!2 - but then I had run these AVIs through Castrator first. Does Castrator re-sort the frames? (I didn't think so...?)

Jim

Hi Neil,

Yes, I de-rotated the AVIs as a first step - although as this process requires a reference image, I made that reference image by just stacking the non-derotated avi.

And yes, I chose a reference frame near the beginning in AS!2 - but then I had run these AVIs through Castrator first. Does Castrator re-sort the frames? (I didn't think so...?)

Jim

I dont think it does Jim. So yes your process is good i understand now. sorry i wasnt sure of what you meant. great Job. this is the best de rotate avi ive seen. though i havent seen many.

Hello all, here's an image from a little later - 2 mins per channel this time. Oh and I decided to put the skew back on the planet, because.....well, just because.

Not sure if it's any better than the first one but take your pick!

Jim

8204384222_134b5d4b90_o.jpg

Hello all, here's an image from a little later - 2 mins per channel this time. Oh and I decided to put the skew back on the planet, because.....well, just because.

Not sure if it's any better than the first one but take your pick!

Jim

8204384222_134b5d4b90_o.jpg

Youve had a great night Jim, thats just wonderful. just love the detail and natural processing.

How did you de rotate this one Jim ? was it a video de rotate again ?

Youve had a great night Jim, thats just wonderful. just love the detail and natural processing.

How did you de rotate this one Jim ? was it a video de rotate again ?

Thanks again.

Yes, exactly the same process. I wasn't certain the AVIs needed derotating with just 2 mins but I thought I'd do it anyway as it wouldn't do any harm. Then the same RGB derotating too.

This one was a slightly 'cleaner' set - with the 3 min ones, SharpCap crashed on the Green (I think?) channel, so I ended up doing it again some minutes later - meaning the whole set of captures covered a good 12 minutes or so. But these 2 min ones were all done in quick succession so less derotation was needed, which I think has improved the limbs slightly.

13fps by the way, I think (Exposure -4 in Sharpcap) and a cheapo 3x Barlow. I have a Televue x2.5 but find the larger image size of the x3 outweighs the brighter exposure of the x2.5.

Jim

Archived