Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

garethmob

a novel telescope.....

I thought that any radio dish big enough to be any good for astronomy would be too large and too impractical for the amerture astronomer?

not nessararys, in the radio astro section theres instructions to build a "dish" as such from as simple as a sky dish to a more allerbert but home made 4 peices of wood and chicken wire approach. but iv never seen them "linked"

The tip off is the size of the dish shown - not big enough to detect much of anything and the description of 400-500 KHz (should be MHz or GHz). But it WILL work through clouds if you know where to point a radio telescope and have the right equipment to do so.

That has got to be a joke!

D.C

Words fail me.

Wonder where they "acquired" the dish.

If they wait until Star Gazing Live it will sell fast, and that is the scary thing, it will sell.

If there is anyone reading this from the Bristol Astro club or an SGL group please let us know if someone buys this and turns up at a meeting.

If it sees through the clouds, I'm getting one. Not really, that has got to be a delayed April fools add surely.

Good news, a functional radio telescope will see through clouds. :D

What on earth was the selling thinking? It's just a Sky dish bolted to a toy.

Edited by E621Keith

I'm pretty sure you could detect the Sun with it, even on a cloudy day so not bad for £80. :grin:

During our practical on radio astronomy, we used two dishes of 2.1m diameter each in interferometric set-up (base line several tens of meters) to measure the size of the sun at 21 cm. We called that set-up the PQRS (Paddepoel Quasi Radio Systhesis telescope; Paddepoel is a suburb of Groningen). This dish certainly does not have any kind of useful resolution

I think your all wrong. Its a fabulous piece of equipment, now if you take a sky box and protable lcd with you on your nights in deep country you can still watch re-runs of the sky at night when it clouds over.

• Like 1

I'd be concerned with the balancing and be rather annoyed with a dish clouting me in the head whilst watching S&N re-runs!

I think your all wrong. Its a fabulous piece of equipment, now if you take a sky box and protable lcd with you on your nights in deep country you can still watch re-runs of the sky at night when it clouds over.

but Sky at Night is on BBC. You don't need a Sky box for that, just a normal digital TV receiver.

Maybe recieve Sky tv and radio channels with the right subscription? :grin:

Cheers,

Steve

You have to collimate them first :grin:

That would be something I might do if reception location was an issue. It certainly would be a novelty, with the proper write up, perhaps it could sold for millions as modern art. :grin:

It took someone with wit to build and advertise, but only a half wit to believe the nonsense and part with hard earned cash...

This is VERY funny. It would be worth building one just for the laugh bringing it along to a star party as a joke :)

Interesting. Can't believe you're all so cynical :-o Especially since it's a Tesco brand scope - well recognised round here as quality!

I mean, he is willing to sell without the dish for £70 so the working radio telescope is only £10 - a snap I'd say!

Wonder if I should reply to the ad :-/ ?

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

One thing is for sure, the 114mm aperture of the scope will out perform the dish by a factor of 100. That is even if the dish did anything at all. Funny though, it did make me laugh. Clear skies all.

Paul.