Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

freelander86

Mac desktop software

Hi,

I changed to a Mac during the year and I used to use some great software on my PC for working out where things were such as The SKY X.

But now on the mac I'm looking for something similar.

I have just seen Sky Safari (MAC edition) which looks quite good? any users? Looks like it will do what I want...

The Sky X is available on the Mac too :smiley:

I use SkySafari too and like it - both apps are capable but which is better is perhaps fairly subjective..

James

As much as I love macs (I have three and use them all day at work) I cannot get on with them with astronomy stuff personally. I have tried and failed. I bought a cheap dell 630 off eBay for at the scope stuff like guiding, eqmod,cdc etc. some other guys get on fine with a mac for astro. Each to their own eh? :)

I have used Sky Safari on my Mac. Using EQMac (free Software) I can also drive the telescope with it from Sky Safari as well.

But yes, the amount of astronomy related software for the Mac is meagre, so I won't be swapping to a Mac from my PC or laptop as yet.

Only use mac sky safari is brilliant use eqmac to drive scope nebulosity for AP capture stacking and post process

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the replies...

Think Ill download skysafari as its only a few £££. Might dig out the skyx cd that came with my scope first though and see if it will install on the MAC

You could install Windows on the Mac as well as MacOS and run both. It's a thought :)

As cowaski says above if you've got a Windows licence, load that in Bootcamp.

You've then got a dual booting option. Best of both worlds.

For planetarium app on my Mac I use Cartes du Ciel.

For proper planning I use AstroPlanner, exporting to SkySafari Pro on Android.

I then use that SkySafari through bluetooth to control the the goto scope. Or use it as atlas for the Dob.

Hi. I've used SkySafari for both Mac and iPad - really like it to be honest. Plus you can also get Stellarium for the Mac (free!), and there's also Starry Night - with different versions (pro, etc.) depending on what you want to use it for (telescope control and the like).

Tim.

On my MacBook Pro I use starry night pro plus :) fantastic program but quite expensive. I k ow what you mean windows is the king of the scope world I have to boot into windows to do anything with my raw files :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use VNC on my ipad to connect to a Windows VM running on my mac. :shocked:

There's free virtualisation software like virtual box or you can get something like VMWare which is even better.

Is doing AP with Xcode regarded as too hardcore? :D Seriously - at the moment I'll leave the mini running a VM with ASCOM.. I'm using Virtualbox (although a bug limits the VM to one core if you want USB working properly). Free and good enough for doing captures.

Now natively on the mac - the 383L runs nicely, the Titan runs at ~20fps, and the other cameras are getting there (including 16ic), it won't be too long before the VM is left cold..

I run Pixinsight natively on the mac for processing.

Edited by NickK