Moon Filters - Which one?

Hi

Please could anyone help us work out the difference in the moon filters out there and let us know what is working and what is best?

We are trying to decide between:

Baader Neodymium Filter

Variable Polarizing Moon Filter

Baader Neutral Density Moon filters

Don't know if it makes a difference however we have decided to go for the Skywatcher Explorer 150P on the EQ3-2 mount.

Thanks

Ange & Carl

I never use a moon filter, even with my 10" scope. My eye seems to adjust to the brightness quite rapidly although it's best not to go chasing faint deep sky objects shortly after a lunar viewing session !

I did a bit of research and the Neodymium filter seems to be a general filter for the Moon and planets. Maybe some nebulae. The variable polarizer cuts down on brightness and is 'custom' so you can change the amount of transmission of light from the moon and/or planets. I use a 13% transmission filter for observing the Moon and for cutting down the brightness of Jupiter. I love it. Especially for Jupiter, without it certain details would just be lost in the glare.

I was given a neutral-density filter when I bought my scope and I imagine the same could be said of a polarizing filter - useless unless you're using them in very large instruments. I guess a part of me says they are useless because the primary purpose of a telescope is to gather light and wasting light just seems to be stupid. But the real reason I say that they're useless is simply because there are probably better alternatives.

You see, if there is a bright full moon, then that's the worst time to observe the Moon because there is no shadow and there is no contrast. If the Moon is too bright in your eyepiece on any other occassion, then that's nature's way of telling you to use more magnification, and perhaps a contrast filter like a Neodymium, or both.

Hop ethat helps.

Not sure the moon is any brighter through a scope than it is with your naked eye. You don't need a filter to look at it with your eye so why bother when looking through a scope? I have observed the moon through scopes up to 16" and never felt the need for one.

I use a variable filter, without it I find viewing the moon uncomfortable. If I view without the filter when I've finish observing the moon it is imprinted for some considerable time on my retina. I think it seems brighter through the scope because it tends to fill the eyepiece, using just your eyes theres plenty of background to tone the brightness down.......or am I talking cobblers. :grin:

Gary.

I use a #29 Deep Red; can see more subtle detail than with anything else I've tried. (Even a #25 is better than the stuff that is usually hawked as "Moon filter")

As for adapting to the Moon's brightness without a filter, this shouldn't be surprising given that the Moon is no brighter than sunlit tarmac!

On the batphone, so expect typos...

Archived