Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leonids

claire1985

Hate to say it but you re better wrapping up very warm and going out from about 4am to look. Leo is pretty low in the sky at present and really doesn't start to peek up much above the horizon before midnight or 1:00am.

I should probably know this but what direction should I be looking in? Can't make out much from mine because of light pollution but I might take a walk to the golf course down the road. Hopefully I'll find someone to drag with me!! X

Cloud is sweeping south during the night (Saturday night), with a large clear area following it. It will probably be clear for 12am in Northern England and then all night, according to the weather map. Sunday looks like being a pretty clear sunny day in the North too.

I read somewhere that peaks were expedted on the 17th and 19th.

If you have an iPhone or iPad you can download the Planets app (it's free) and it will show you where the constellation of Leo is at the moment (for me now it will be rising in about an hour). You can also set the time and date to see where any constellation will be at a given time.

Hope you have clear skies back home.

Sky at night mag says the peak of the shower will be on 13th December 23.30 onwards with a zenithal hourly rate of 120 meteors per hour,I'd say that rate would be in a pitch black location with no light pollution,uk be more like 15 a hour if your lucky as no doubt people will have their Christmas lights flashing away lol.

Sky at night mag says the peak of the shower will be on 13th December 23.30 onwards with a zenithal hourly rate of 120 meteors per hour,I'd say that rate would be in a pitch black location with no light pollution,uk be more like 15 a hour if your lucky as no doubt people will have their Christmas lights flashing away lol.

That's the Geminids meteor shower not the Leonids. The Geminids shower should produce a lot more meteors

I'm not sure you need to wait for Leo to rise at all. My understanding is that they're no more likely to be seen around the radiant point than anywhere else. Can't recall where I read that though.

James

You're right, it depends on how we hit them and at what angle but if you trace the line of a leonid meteor back to it's source it should be the Leo region. The higher the constellation is above the horizon increases the chance of seeing some of the meteors coming out 'sidewards' from the radiant and seeing the meteor trails before they burn out under the horizon

Will I be disappointed? I've set my alarm for 2am just incase I fall asleep but I live in a well lit area. The view from my front door is not to bad as houses block most of the light, I can't travel as I have my two year old at home, which is typical as she's not usually here Saturdays :-/ is it really going to be worth getting up? X

Will I be disappointed? I've set my alarm for 2am just incase I fall asleep but I live in a well lit area. The view from my front door is not to bad as houses block most of the light, I can't travel as I have my two year old at home, which is typical as she's not usually here Saturdays :-/ is it really going to be worth getting up? X

You certainly aren't going to see hundreds of them, maybe 5 - 6 in an hour if you are looking in the right direction, which is always fun trying to guess where the next one will be. The Geminids on Dec 13rd will be the next opportunity with a higher hourly rate.

If the clouds stay away it's worth looking up any time of the night as you might catch one

It's beautifully clear here at the mo. if I didn't have my daughter is have a walk over the golf course at the end of my road, pretty open views and dark-ish. Might have a walk down with her after tea :-) be good to show her some stars anyway x

Archived