Narrowband

Newbie Looking for your opinion

Hello Masters! Yesterday, I saw a refractor telescope on a store here in my Country, can you please give me your opinion in this telescope? And what planets is able to see by this scope?

Here is the specifications:

Specifications:

-Focal length: 600mm

-Objective lens Size: 50mm

-Lens coating: Blue

-Optical tube Diameter: 46mm

-Optical tube length: 415mm

-Refractor Diameter: 50mm

-Finder scope: 2x magnification

-Eyepiece lens: 0.965"-F6mm, H12.5mm

-Magnification: 100x for F6mm and 50x for H12.5mm

P.S: Im sorry for my very poor grammar.

that scope will be fine on the moon not so good on the other planets and not very good on deep space objects. A bigger scope will give you better views of the planets and some deep space objects to look at. Because of the combination of its long focal length and small apparture the field of view will be narrow and views will be quite dim

Hello to you from the UK.

The last thing the folks here want to do is to put you off from taking up astronomy. But looking at the details of that telescope, it will very likely do just that, sorry.

I really do think that you would be better advised if you get some binoculars instead, something like 10x50, thats 10 times magnification, and 50mm diameter front lenses.

The binoculars wont show any planetary detail (apart from perhaps showing Jupiter's moons as tiny points of light) but will show you the main features of the moon, great view of large objects like the Pleiades star cluster.

Sorry again to disappoint you, maybe this is not what you are hoping to hear.

Best regards, Ed.

The objective lens on the scope is only 50mm. That really is below par for an astronomical scope (might be ok for nature watching). It will only show you the planets in the same way that a pair of x50 bins will..........which isnt great.

blue coated lens?..............sounds as bad on a scope are red coated lens on bins.

I would avoid this scope. A pair of 10X50 bins would serve you better.

Most department stores offer telescopes (mostly refractors) that are cheap in quality and poor in performance for astronomy use. Why? To satisfy the impulse buying urge of either the parent or child wanting to explore the night sky. Alas, once the child/adult tries using the scope and does not get to see much due to poor quality optics and ignorance of sky conditions, the scope ends up collecting dust :huh: . ALWAYS buy any astronomical instrument from a brand name company that deals in astronomical scopes/binoculars. These instruments may be a bit more expensive but they will serve you for many years with quality performance and so not colllect dust from non-use.

I have seen some of these cheap scopes at department stores boasting 700 power magnification, cheap plastic lens elements, wobbly tripods, all of which will result in poor performance or non at all :mad:

I think you would be dissapointed with that scope. If you want to buy a refractor, go for at least a 90mm, you will be a lot happier with what you can see through it! Good luck ;)

80-90mm for a refrac is the starting point. Anything less simply wont do, unless its a widefield 70mm scope such as the Celestron Travelscope70.

I think the 0.965" or Japanese inch eps might be more of a problem.

I wouldn't recommend anything under 1.25".

You can get some very decent 80mm fracs quite cheaply - the Orion ST80 springs to mind.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Archived