SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

LX 80 anyone??

cantharis

I was just looking at the Meade LX 80 mount, the one that can be configured as a GOTO AltAz or a GOTO GEM. Seems an interesting idea, it is priced competitively against the EQ6 and has a good load capacity. Anybody have any experience of this one - is it a brilliant idea or does it perform both roles badly?

Certainly it would make a refreshing change from the HEQ5 and EQ6 that gets uiversally recommended in this forum.

At the recent AstroMeet in Leeds, Green Witch had one on display at their trade stand. Unfortunately, as I'm not in the market for a new mount, I didn't pay too much attention to it though it diid look quite smart. Shame you didn't make this thread last Friday as I would've paid more attention to it. :smile:

The Green Witch stand was manned by Lee Sproats, who is by all accounts a very experienced astronomer - so if he had the mount on display, I would infer that he must rate it somewhat.

It got a lot of bad publicity and videos on UTube when it came out in the States ,think they've had recalls and software updates since so they may be better now.

Lots of threads on CN etc from unhappy early users.

Dave

It got a lot of bad publicity and videos on UTube when it came out in the States ,think they've had recalls and software updates since so they may be better now.

Lots of threads on CN etc from unhappy early users.

Dave

I'm sure that was the LX800 not the LX80.

Nope...the LX 80 got a bad rap as well on CN. Lots of problems, load capacity overrated, recalls and poor overall performance. I gave up reading threads on it some time ago.

Oh dear - I'd read a lot about the recalls on the LX800 but hadn't realised the LX80 was also plagued with problems.

I'm sure that was the LX800 not the LX80.

There are good and bad comments on the CloudyNights' threads. Happy and unhappy users. New firmware releases... But NO recalls on the LX80. That was the LX800. I have one and love it. Definitely does not live up to the published weight limits but I don't have any problems at 20 pounds in Polar Mode. I've been disappointed in the AP test so far but for visual use with 2 OTA's it is nice.

Mike

Archived