Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Full Frame DSLR's

laser_jock99

If you want a wider field-of-view get some lenses - that's what I've done. If you get Canon auto-focus lenses I gather you can use your computer to focus but I haven't tried it myself yet as I've mostly got manual lenses. I got cheap Pentax/Praktica screw mount with adapter to fit EOS cameras. These were from the old film SLR days and many are very good quality.

If you get Canon auto-focus lenses I gather you can use your computer to focus but I haven't tried it myself yet as I've mostly got manual lenses.

I've done it with my 1100D and APT and it worked a treat. I can't remember if you can do it on a camera with DIGIC III processor but it definitely works on DIGIC IV and later.

I've done it with my 1100D and APT and it worked a treat. I can't remember if you can do it on a camera with DIGIC III processor but it definitely works on DIGIC IV and later.

Thank you :) I'll have to give that a try - I've got a Canon 28-80mm zoom which I can try. That'll give me quite a wide field :)

You want a wider fov, but what are your targets. I have FF dslrs and yes you gain a bit on the fov, but you lose more in other ways. You cannot use any filters with a FF Canon dslr. I'm not sure about other makes though. Youalso lose a bit in focal length compared to a crop sensor. Having a 1.6 magnification can be very useful when it comes to choosing tele lenses. You can find quite wide lenses for crop sensor cams if you want widefield.

Personally I am moving to the crop sensor cameras because it has more advantage than FF in astro use.

My thinking was that having another larger size of sensor avialable would effectively be the same as investing in yet another scope. I have a selection of Nikon ED lenses (180/f2.8, 80-200/f2.8, 300/f2.8 & 400/f4) all which I'd like to use more for AP. My main concern really is that in telescopic use the edges of full frame CCD would be well outside the sharp zone of my existing kit. I.e. in going full frame would you be forced to look at buying scopes with 3" focusers? My Keller coma correcetor already only has a corrected area of 20mm dia (smaller than my existing 23mm CCD's).

If you are going to use your lenses with the dslr then that is a good idea, and if you are using quality lenses like yours , they may even give a better image than through the scope. You are only limited by the focal length of the biggest lens you have but they are a lot more versatile than a scope of equal length You also get the benefit of nice wide apertures. You can add extenders to gain a bit more focal length when needed, but you then lose a bit on aperture. Before buying a full frame you need to check if you can use any filters with it. I know I can't use any with my Canon full frames which is why I have just bought a modded 1100D.

If you are going to use your lenses with the dslr then that is a good idea, and if you are using quality lenses like yours , they may even give a better image than through the scope. You are only limited by the focal length of the biggest lens you have but they are a lot more versatile than a scope of equal length You also get the benefit of nice wide apertures. You can add extenders to gain a bit more focal length when needed, but you then lose a bit on aperture. Before buying a full frame you need to check if you can use any filters with it. I know I can't use any with my Canon full frames which is why I have just bought a modded 1100D.

When you say filters do you mean the Astrnoomik clip on filters that cover the CCD? I'm already assuming there will be non available for full frame Nikon cameras.

My 300mm lens has the slot-in type filter holder mid lens. Anoyingly the screw thread is marginally smaller (30.5mm) than a 1 1/4" astronomy filter but I could get some narrow band filters rolled down to fit in?

Buying an FX camera for astro work wouldn't be my main reason for getting one, if it were I would reconsider.

IMO I would put the money used to get an FX Nikon into a dedicated CCD, as nikons aren't we'll supported in terms of software and filters etc. Just my thoughts....

Yes it was the clip filters I was referring to. It seems like suitable filters to fit large lenses are not available or are incredibly expensive. i don't know if you can get slot in types that are appropriate for astro. I'm a Canon guy, but surely Nikon will have cameras that can use clip filters. Maybe not.

Lee's comments about software are correct and it does seem like most stuff is tailored towards Canon. Maybe you can get a Canon and a lens adapter so that you can use the lenses you already have. As its usually manual focus anyway, it should not present problems.

If you are serious about astro imaging go CCD. That's the honest truth as I see it. In a shoot out between short FL scope with small CCD chip and longer FL scope with large DSLR chip then I think the CCD will win by a country mile. Have a look at this image by Rob Hodgkinson using the predecessor to the Atik 314L, the 16HR. I really doubt that you will find a Cocoon via DSLR at any focal length to compare with this stunning image. http://www.middlehillobservatory.co.uk/IMAGES/Full%20size%20pics/Cocoon%20neb-June-aug09-Ha-HaRGB.jpg

Olly

If you are serious about astro imaging go CCD. That's the honest truth as I see it. In a shoot out between short FL scope with small CCD chip and longer FL scope with large DSLR chip then I think the CCD will win by a country mile. Have a look at this image by Rob Hodgkinson using the predecessor to the Atik 314L, the 16HR. I really doubt that you will find a Cocoon via DSLR at any focal length to compare with this stunning image. http://www.middlehil...09-Ha-HaRGB.jpg

Olly

Nice image there- but again, a really narrow FOV (ideal CCD territory) wide field is where I want to explore- fisheye lens and up!

That is a cracking Cocoon :) I don't think I've seen a better one. Do you know what scope that was taken with Olly?

TMB152, Gina, so not exactly a budget scope! I don't know a better Cocoon either. I think it's the O111 which makes it so special. Rob's a genius for combining NB and natural colour.

Laser_Jock, I know what you mean about real widefield imaging. It certainly has a charm of its own, no doubt about it. Do you know Stéphan Guisard's images? He's the man...

http://www.astrosurf.com/sguisard/

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

I sit with the same dilema. I have lots of lenses, and am currently using a 60Da quite succesfully. However, I also have access to a 5D MKIII, and was wondering if it would give me a bigger FOV ? Also, if shooting through a 8" Edge , surely the 5D would give more FOV, and less noise and better depth ?

Yes, it will give you a bigger FOV but how well your scope will cope out towards the edges I don't know. I would expect scopes to be optimised for up to APS-C size of maybe a bit bigger. I guess the only way to be sure is to try it - you say you have a full-frame camera available to you.

My canon 600mm f4 L takes 2" filters in the drop-in holder, so I can use the light pollution filter. Here is a shot using the full frame 12mp canon 5Dmk1 with baader filter mod and a 2x converter on the lens :grin: still a work in progress as I have amp glow on the right hand side, using the camera on the 190mn or the ed80 produces some vignetting. :grin:

post-19994-0-15919300-1354792946_thumb.j

Archived