SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help on Bahtinov Mask Generator parameters for 18-55mm lens

sumangeek

Hi,

I am planning to make my own Bahtinov mask for my canon 18-55mm stock IS lens. I've come across this website (http://astrojargon.net/MaskGenerator.aspx) which creates templates for the mask. I've experimented with these settings (focal length = 55mm, clear aperture= 55mm/5.6 = 9.82 mm, Edge thickness = 10). Unfortunately the template turns out to be small. I've somewhat "intuitively" chosen the parameters. It would be great if someone explains what focal length and clear aperture actually mean?

Cheers

Suman

I've tried, and to be honest, i gave up. Smallest mask i could make with a laser cutting machine was for a 200mm lens - and then the gaps to cut out was thinner then 1mm.

What camera are you using? I'm using the 550d, and with live-view it's pretty easy to focus om a medium bright star at 10x zoom. I've never had to use a mask for anything that wide before.

You could make a Bahtinov mask with thread as mentioned somewhere else in these forums of maybe try a Y mask. I made a Y mask simply using a scrap of cardboard and pair of scissors. Worked with my 200mm lens :)

Archived