Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

200P and tracking objects

Hello, I'm considering upgrading to a new 200P from my old Meade DS114AT. From all accounts I'll be moving up in the world.

Appart from, it appears the lack of auto tracking in th 200P.

Is this true? Is it a purely manual process to reposition the scope to keep the object in the FOV?

There are so many rave reviews this can't be much of a burden so how does everyone do it?

Cheers

Mark

is it a 200p dob mount or on an eq mount ?if dob you get used to it pretty quickly , simple gentle nudges, if eq you can upgrade to ra driven mounts , goto's etc even the dob base can be motorised at a cost. i prefer my dob to an eq mount any day its realy easy set up and very easy to use .

Dob users call it nudging, and it's easier than you expect. It wouldn't be the nations favourite scope if it had a major drawback like that. The average EP will probably give you 30 secs or so at high power before needing to nudge, which is a 3-4 second job. No different to using slow-mo controls on an eq mount really.

If you're after a 200P + EQ5 then tracking is a sinch - If you're just observing then you'll just need a slight pull on the polar axis fine tune wheel to keep you target in the EP. The greater the magnification the less time it will stay in the EP without a twiddle.

Setup time for the EQ5 mount is very minimal and most of the places I end up I'm glad of a nice sturdy tripod (sorry dobbies!).

For AP you'll need a motor, but this isn't my game!

I have the 200P and the EQ5 mount. As Mikeyrea has mentioned, tweaks of RA are required to keep the object in the field of view and this is all that is needed - provided that the mount is polar aligned. I upgraded by attaching the dual axis motors and this tracks extremely well (provided that you've polar aligned reasonably accurately) and certainly well enough for taking images of the major planets at reasonably high power. There are other options (including an upgrade to a full goto setup whether with the EQ5 or the more beefy EQ6) but I like my set up as I enjoy (most of the time) the challenge of star hopping and the motors allow me to do some basic photography and share views with my wife without the object drifting out of the field of view. She also has issues reaching the RA knob in certain scope orientations.

I have a goto mount, it sings and dances and goes exactly where I want it to every time. Its a grand thing. I have used it to observe many a great object.

However, I have just made a dob base so I can learn the sky properly again, like I knew it when I was a kid. I'm looking forwards to going surfing again. I miss having the full picture in my mind. I know where things are but I don't have a true mental map in my head, that, is jewel to be treasured.

For me goto and push to are two totally different things.

Goto is a highly effective way to get to view everything you want to see. Its a grand thing when clear skies are rare and you want a good jolly around or,

continuous uninteruped study, knowing that when you pack up you go in with a head full of awe and wonder.

Push to with a good old fashioned star atlas close at hand, a red lamp shining on it, learning to walk your own paths and roads through the universe..... simple, mind blowing bliss!

Depends how you like your wine... journey or destination :).

Hi, yes if you get the 'manual' 200P Dob. you will have to 'nudge' it every so often. Was quite concerned about that before I bought our Dob. as I am useless 'with my hands' and can't insintively tell left from right but everyone on here was so certain that 'you get the knack quick' that I went for it.

I found it much easier than 'turning the wheel' on my previous manual 114 Skyhawk and am very happy that I took that option.

If you want GoTO and Auto Tracking you can pay more and get that, but I'm glad i spent the money on apeture rather than those.

Without going to the expense of GOTO you can motorise the RA axis of an EQ5 (and the Dec axis if you want to spend a little more) so that it will track an object while you are observing it. IMHO a far more elegant solution than repeatedly shoving an AltAz mount into position by hand. (Manual AltAz mounts are just so end-of-the-pier.)

Archived