SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Costs and why?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago I read somewhere that the UK has been nicknamed "Treasure Island" in the commercial world because generally we appear prepared / daft enough to pay higher prices for goods than other places - I think that phrase "what the market will bear" tends to be used to make it sound more respectable :D

John

I would prefer the term "what the customer is willing to put up with!".

Lets face it, I am starting out like so many of you already have. I have my hard earned cash that I have decided to put into a hobby that I would like to get interested in.

So I start shopping round, a few years ago, I would not have had the advantage of the internet, in being able to use valuable forums like this to gain such advice. But more significantly, I can easily access other retailer's (I am talking overseas here) prices. The world is a much smaller place. We can all have access to information that it would have previously cost an international phone call to get.

The point is I DONT want to have to go elsewhere. Things should be equal (the items are coming from the same country afterall!)

Perhaps this is why the used market is so strong and items don't stay up for sale very long.

I have watched the market in the sale sections and certain auction sites and can't believe the prices that things sell for, often only £100 less (than say something for £700 new!), so people are prepared to try to save that extra £100. What does that say? I don't just think it's down to "counting the pennies". certainly not in my case anyway.

Regards Dean

I have watched the market in the sale sections and certain auction sites and can't believe the prices that things sell for, often only £100 less (than say something for £700 new!), so people are prepared to try to save that extra £100. What does that say?

Regards Dean

Actually it says that the stuff doesn't wear out much. Wear on lenses and mirrors from photons passing through is minor to say the least, so much of the second hand stuff is as good as new. The biggest drops occur on electronics, such as goto mounts where they would cost a lot to repair or replace if they fail. 'scopes and eyepieces last forever if they are looked after i.e. not dropped on the floor.

Sorry to go off-piste a little.

Kaptain Klevtsov

True, and most people do look after their equipment. I was thinking more about lets say "more problematic" scopes with renowned plastic gearing (without mentioning any brand!). I wouldn't want to buy say a 4yr old scope for only £100 less "just in case" plus lack of warranty. But each to their own I suppose.

are you saying that Celestron/Meade get a bigger profit from UK sales than from US sales? :D

For Chinese sourced kit (ie most of it), yes.

that is simply not true

What? They can sell an item for 30-40% (at least!!) more in the UK and they don't make any more money on it? Where does the money go?

are you saying that Celestron/Meade get a bigger profit from UK sales than from US sales? :D

For Chinese sourced kit (ie most of it), yes.

that is simply not true

What? They can sell an item for 30-40% (at least!!) more in the UK and they don't make any more money on it? Where does the money go?

Don't forget they can also still afford to add up to a $200 rebate on top of that!!

Adam,

Whilst your "in the chair" so to speak, could you find out if Celestron will be offering any form of rebate scheme in this country and if not, why not. The population of this country (hence sales) as has been suggested doesn't seem a good enough answer.

Thanks

Regards Dean

Nah, I think its more like:

"Why do I have to pay £1000 for an OTA in the UK, $1000 for the same OTA in the USA, when the OTAs are made in (and shipped from) China?"

Another lie. All OTA's are currently made in the USA :nono:

According to my spies :D only the C11 is still listed as "Made in America', the 8 and 9.25 are now down as 'Made in China'. Orions (USA) new catalouge has also made these changes to the Celestron scope descriptions they have rebadged as Orion.

Nah, I think its more like:

"Why do I have to pay £1000 for an OTA in the UK, $1000 for the same OTA in the USA, when the OTAs are made in (and shipped from) China?"

Another lie. All OTA's are currently made in the USA :nono:

If this is true (and I haven't a clue if it is or isn't) then that does explain a lot of the price difference (not all but a fair proportion).

The increase in price will be largely due to the cost of sea freight in getting these items over

Interestingly, Meade have now reduced their ETX125PE by £100 and are including a "free" eyepiece/fliter/barlow set with it. (not as a result of this thread I don't think! :D), but it's nice to see offers been made in this country though!

Regards Dean

Interestingly, Meade have now reduced their ETX125PE by £100 and are including a "free" eyepiece/fliter/barlow set with it. (not as a result of this thread I don't think! :D), but it's nice to see offers been made in this country though!

Regards Dean

let's hope Celestron follow suite!

Adam,

Whilst your "in the chair" so to speak, could you find out if Celestron will be offering any form of rebate scheme in this country and if not, why not. The population of this country (hence sales) as has been suggested doesn't seem a good enough answer.

Thanks

Regards Dean

Anything forthcoming? Or maybe a contact at Celestron so I can find out for myself?

Regards Dean

Archived