Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrophotography :Getting started with SPC900 and SW 127 Goto.

Sionoh

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2012 at 15:15, Helen said:

Hi Sion and welcome to SGL :smiley:

I haven't got the SW Mak, but have used a Meade 125 Mak and a webcam. I'd start without the barlow - the field of view will be really small with it. Maks generally have a wide range of focus so I'd say you can do it with or without the diagonal. Turn the gain up and the exposure up too in the software and then turn the focus knob really slowly. I found its really easy to go through focus without noticing it if you move the focuser too quickly. Once you've got an out of focus bright blob you can focus to make that smaller and then adjust the shutter speed and gain downwards until you can focus to get detail. You might want to try it in daylight to get somewhere near focus and/or set up a parfocalising ring on an eyepiece so that you'll be able focus with the eyepiece and then swap in the camera and be pretty close to focus.

HTH

Helen

Thanks for this Helen, I've been trying to set up my 900 and Skywatcher Mak 127 and failing dramatically to get anything in focus. Your reply inspired me to have another go; but much more slowly this time and during the day (using a distant telegraph pole as a target). Got it! So now I can try for the moon next (if these clouds ever clear, that is...)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived