Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Mark1970Vintage

Jupiter amazes my cub pack

I took my telescope (Explorer 150) up to my cub pack last night to show the young people Jupiter, it's moons and The Pleiades. They were enthralled with Jupier and it's moons and each of them were able to see and describe the banding and count the moons (we saw 5 last night) It was great to see them getting so excited and animated about what they could see through the eyepeice.

We then moved on to the Pleiades and told them various stories about how the 7 sisters got their name. We also showed them a few constallations, how to find north/pole star from Ursa Major and got them looking for Satellites. We found 2... and using the laser pointer really helped here.... which ofcourse they loved.

All in all a great couple of hours and some young minds/eyes turned skywards, which can't be a bad thing.

• Like 3

Sounds like a great night. I printed of pics I have taken of Jupiter, M27,42 & 57 for my five year old to take into school for the after school Astronomy Club to have a look at tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll get a chance to take the scope in before christmas and do a little chat and answer some questions they have.

and using the laser pointer really helped here.... which ofcourse they loved.

I doubt the Police helicopter would have agreed :police:

I vividly remember my first Jupiter and remember the looks on friends faces with their first observations. It's a good feeling. Glad they enjoyed it and hopefully they will be inspired...... telescope for christmas please mum!

That sounds a great idea - my son is in a cub camp, and I've noticed in the past how the car park is in almost complete darkness! Time to take the scope along, I think! :-)

How does the laser pointer help on a clear sky?!

That's a great story, good to get the youngsters' interest away from their x-box etc.

That's teriffic to hear - we (ems) just got a new dark site next to a cub scout hut and we're planning an observing session for them - so your event bodes well for our plans :)

That's a great story, good to get the youngsters' interest away from their x-box etc.

...well said..

Might be fun at some point to try to get my son's cub pack to come out here and have a look through the scopes, though I guess you need a reasonable chance of clear skies if they're going to travel anywhere...

James

Its so encouraging to hear of your work with youngsters - to expand their horizons for learning from the usual school stuff must be quite liberating for a lot of them.

andrew

Thanks for all the positive comments.... Quite a few of the parents have asked about recommended scopes as Xmas ideas.... So it clearly hit the spot.

I'm doing a similar evening with my son's cub pack on Tuesday night - any tips / lessons learned you could share?

Jim, yesvlots of things to consider... Make sure you know how to turn the HQ security lights out. Have an extra helper to show those not lookingbthrough the scope some constellations. Get them to look for satellites. take a step ladder for them to stand on. Check focus after each cub. Set some clear "exclusion" zones around the scope as they do tend to crowd in. Wetake looking through eyepeices for granted but remember how difficult you used to find it... Especially with hgh power. Explain to the cubs how to see through. . Leave the scope set up and let the parents have a quick look at the end. If you have one group on constellations, one group on the scope the rest can be indoors doing a quiz or something.... Then rotate. Oh... And enjoy it :-)

Very cool! For future reference, only 4 of Jupiter's moons are visible, the others are way too dim to be seen, so the fifth was probably a background star. Great experience though!

Thanks Mark - very helpful.

Unfortunately, unless theres a dramatic change, the forecast is for wall to wall cloud on Tuesday night here :( However, even if theres no scope time I'll take stellarium along and we can at least show them some things - then maybe I can take the telescopes along at another point.