SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter, the semi interesting side @ F22, I think?

Darth Takahashi

Last time was the first usable, fairly clear night since my return from my business trip. I had the telescope out imaging 2x planetary DSO (M57 & NGC7662) and left everything running into the night waiting for Jupiter to clear my next door neighbours house.

Everything was ready, the DMK21, IR_filter and my new, well second hand Celestron 2x Ultima barlow. I was a little worried about this test, since in the past I have been using my ExtQ 1.6x with the Mewlon which is of course a very high quality piece of kit from Takahashi. So what could I expect from a Celestron Ultima 2x barlow???

post-3011-0-52130700-1352981143_thumb.pn

I'm very very impressed by the results so far, see for yourself! The image scale has benefited greatly, the brightness has decreased and I'm now at my camera's maximum sensitivity. Also, I have increased the frame capture to 5000 from 2000 previously. Transparency was average to poor but the seeing was excellent all night. I managed to get 3x runs in before the image faded away as the clouds rolled in. I'm very happy with the result and see it as another step forward in my planetary imaging. Right now I probably don't have the optimum setting that will change with more time and experience with this setup. I more sensitive camera maybe needed, perhaps for Christmas!!!

I still can't quite believe the quality of this rather small compact barlow package, its excellent and I must thank "Neil Phillips" for the recommendation. My WO Barlow was sold long ago and despite its size 2" and 3xED optic element claims couldn't compete with this package from Celestron.

I have never used a Televue barlow or powermate but if I were them I'd be buying these Celestron Ultima up and crushing them, since from a Price v Performance point of view I cannot see a Televue barlow / powermate being that much better, its just not possible!!!

Glad to see you liked the barlow, i had a 3x televue barlow ( hard to compare 2x to 3x ) but i prefered the Celestron. Even when i used tubes to increase the 2x celestron, it seemed brighter and sharper. Though the TV was still good. The celestron just seemed to be in another class, First class japanease optics.

The TV 5x powermate though is another thing intirely, and i think it likely to be one of the best multiplyers ever made by anyone. If seeing is good the powermate just seems give what the seeing will allow. No more, no less. it doesnt get in the way. it just gives what the conditions are giving you. I suspect the lower power powermates. Are amazing performers. Money no object i would have more of these multiplyers. But we all know how cheap these are :grin:

Nice image. Good scale

Thanks for all the nice comments, I'm certainly very happy with the Celestron 2x Barlow, it's more than enough for me with the Mewlon. I noticed that it has a little thumb screw on it so I can probable more the camera back a little to increase the magnification?

Also, next time I can lower the frame rate to 15 f/s to improve the sensitivity.

Well let wait and see what happens on the next clear night, most probably that's weeks away!!!

Thanks for all the nice comments, I'm certainly very happy with the Celestron 2x Barlow, it's more than enough for me with the Mewlon. I noticed that it has a little thumb screw on it so I can probable more the camera back a little to increase the magnification?

Also, next time I can lower the frame rate to 15 f/s to improve the sensitivity.

Well let wait and see what happens on the next clear night, most probably that's weeks away!!!

Be wary of going down to 1/15th secs, anything other than superb seeing ( and even then 1/130th secs will likely win ) will produce softer images. 1/15th secs really doesnt have the speed to beat most seeing situations ive found. the low frame rate also doesnt help. though of course less frames will be needed because they are less noisy. Its just ive experimented for many years doing these tests. Ive found even increasing to 1/ 19 th secs Exposure. improves the detail and sharpness of the AVIs compared to 1/15th secs. Try it over a few different nights. You may not agree. But ive found this to be true with my equipment and location.

Thanks for the info that's good advise. I tried 1/15sec last night but Jupiter was jumping around a little too much, therefore, I havent bothered to post the results, its just too soft. Seeing was poor!!!

The good news is that 1/30sec is do able at max gain, I'll just have to get more frames to keep the noise in check. So what the maximum length I can image for without being affected by surface rotation? I thought its 3-4mins?

Archived