Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

carastro

M45 Pleiades Cluster

My first attempt at LRGB.

Atik383L, Skywatcher Evostar ED80 on NEQ6

NO LP filter (mislaid it !!)

Captured in artemis

Luminance 300 x 16 (1h 20m)

Red 300 x 6

Green 300 x 6

Blue 300 X 9

wpeb5433f5_0f.jpg

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

I also did a combi with the DSLR image I did last year using the Blue filter as luminance:

wpe079040b_0f.jpg

Carole

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

Beautiful!! Pleiades was the cluster that started my my interest in astronomey 25yrs ago. Well done! :smiley:

Nice image Carole, they were looking good to the eye last night as well down here in Cornwall but couldn't get them with the scope as buildings were in the way!! :mad: Sp stood in the middle of a field whilst walking the dogs and took it all in. :grin:

lovely! how you are getting that with no filter in London is beyond me..

Almost tempts me to have a rig up where i live in london rather than keeping it at my parents in only slightly darker Kent

Thanks every-one;

lovin the 2nd example carole!

yes I must admit, so far I am liking the combi CCD/DSLR images better than the LRGB, but I am only new at that, so need to persevere.

lovely! how you are getting that with no filter in London is beyond me..

Almost tempts me to have a rig up where i live in london rather than keeping it at my parents in only slightly darker Kent

Both those images were done from SE London/Bromley. You can get some of the brighter objects OK here, but the fainter stuff needs doing at a dark site.

Carole

It's a bit of a learnig curve Carole thats for sure but as you've found out DSLR colour can also be effective.

Are you having to resize much between the 383 lum & DSLR colour ?

Very nice images. I'm always surprised by how the nebulosity looks like brush strokes and really comes out in those pics. Almost like an artists impression of The Pleiades :smiley:

realy cool. is the blue line running through the bottom star in picture 2 a satelite?

Edited by dtr42

Thanks Special K

Hi Simon,

Are you having to resize much between the 383 lum & DSLR colour ?
Provided I have the same orientation there is not a lot of difference, but the pleiades were rotated about 90 degrees to each other, so when I combined I had to do a big crop.

Dtr42

is the blue line running through the bottom star in picture 2 a satelite?

I did not know what that was when I did the original DSLR image as it transversed only one star, and also appeared in my horshead image done around the same time, and therefore would have been too much coincidence to have been a satellite, again just across one star. After discussion with my astro chums, we decided that somewhere a hair or something had got into the imaging train causing a diffraction, much like what happens with the spider in an SCT or Newtonian. It is white in the original. It appeared on two images and not happened again since.

Edited by carastro

Got to admit that I actually prefer the first image, just to buck the trend. Very nice.

I had it in my head that you'd decided you were going to stick with OSC imaging for some reason. Did you change your mind?

James

Thank you wave soarer.

Hi James, I've been tossing and turning about which way to go for several months. Yes there was a point when I thought I would go OSC, but in the end opted for mono, mainly because I live in a heavily LP area and thought I needed to have the option of narrowband, plus every-one tells me that Mono is more sensitive. However I may continue to do DSLR/CCD combis from time to time.

Carole

Very nice Carole.. Don't be put off OSC and an IDAS filter .. :)