Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Was that the Great Red Spot?

Andymarrison

The GRS was on show and looked great a little earlier this evening. My ED120 refractor showed it as a very pale pinkish oval sat in a pale rimmed hollow in the south side of the south equatorial belt. I counted 4 pale vortexes trailing the GRS as it progressed around Jupiters disk. Some of the best views I've had of the giant planet tonight :smiley:

The GRS was on show and looked great a little earlier this evening. My ED120 refractor showed it as a very pale pinkish oval sat in a pale rimmed hollow in the south side of the south equatorial belt. I counted 4 pale vortexes trailing the GRS as it progressed around Jupiters disk. Some of the best views I've had of the giant planet tonight :smiley:

What magnification were you using, John? I was at about 115, so fairly modest I guess.

What magnification were you using, John? I was at about 115, so fairly modest I guess.

I found about 130x was best for me. Some amazing views tonight, by far the best i've seen of jupiter. Typically though, it didn't last long. The GRS was a nice surprise though, i hadn't checked times or anything... :)

180x and 225x. The seeing this evening supported a higher magnification than is usually optimum for Jupiter.

This nice image has just been posted in the imaging section by Ultrapenguin:

http://stargazerslou...upiter-tonight/

I could see the detail captured in that image, although the contrast visually was somewhat less.

im glad i read this particular thread now, id not seen the grs before and was unsure if i had in in my sights last night, but looking at the image link john posted and comparing to my reference sketch,i think it must have been .

thats very kind fredster.... to kind probably :grin: .

it did help observing though, i spent around 45 minutes or more in one go.normally 5-10 mins is the norm for me.

It's a worthwhile thing to do, apart from as a record, if it keeps you concentrated at the eyepiece. It took me quite a while to realise that, to see more than the the main features, you really need to spend a long time studying a planet. The saying "the more you look, the more you see" does seem to hold true :smiley:

I tried Jupiter periodically until nearly 2pm last night. Lovely views at x56 - to about x140. Tried pushing to x225, but it really didn't like it. Started to get some halfway useful views at x187 ish after about 1.30am - Jupiter being that much higher in the sky seemed to help, plus it had moved well over to the south for me, so not above nearby houses. Couldn't see the spot really, but a kind of space in the southern band where I guess it should be. Could just begin to make out some fringing on the bands as well. All in all, despite not a positve ID on the spot, last night gave me some of the nicest views of mighty Jove I've seen all year :).

I really take John's point on time at the ep though, but I kept getting distracted by Orion :grin:

Archived