Narrowband

New Coronado PST are they all made the same these days?

garethmob

The "new" PST has a gold anodised aluminium tube rather than the original brass tube, other than that they seem to be the same. No major issues that I know of. Re. imaging....the PST was originally designed as a visual instrument hence the problems....

I have been looking into the purchase of either a PST or go straight for the Solarmax, in believe the new PST has been redisigned with increased contrast and image brightness. I think I will either go for PST 0.5 angstrom or a Solarmax.

The "new" PST has a gold anodised aluminium tube rather than the original brass tube, other than that they seem to be the same. No major issues that I know of. Re. imaging....the PST was originally designed as a visual instrument hence the problems....

would I be correct in saying the new PST are good for imaging?

If it's just the Ha PST you don't have to go to the hassle of shaving anything off the eyepiece holder, just buy a low profile adapter. Thats what I did with mine & it focussed perfectly afterwards.

Jeff

Not necessarily the case! Both of my PSTs wont focus with a DMK41 as the focal point just doesn't go out far enough, even with a low profile nosepiece. If you search around you'll see the odd post along this line so I'm definitely not the only one.

I have been looking into the purchase of either a PST or go straight for the Solarmax, in believe the new PST has been redisigned with increased contrast and image brightness. I think I will either go for PST 0.5 angstrom or a Solarmax.

Don't forget the Lunt solar scopes too. Coronado are not the only maker.

Scoobee,

Not really.

The basic design (and optics) remains unchanged. I haven't demonstrated that the newer versions are any more efficient than the original.

(The quote "improvement" sounds like marketing hype....)

Merlin66

I thought this may be the case, I have used the older version via a friendship and to be honest its a lot of hard work despite the images it gave. I think to be honest the Solarmax will be the best option

The Lunt 60mm to equal the Coronado is about 33% more expensive and as far as i have researched the image is about the same

I also use a SM60 double stack mounted on an ED80. Great performer!

Merlin66, to be honest i will use white light solar till the end of March/april 2013 and when the hype of the sun dies down will look at Ha , I agree a seperate scope and filters will be the better option, despite the increase in cost

The Lunt 60mm to equal the Coronado is about 33% more expensive and as far as i have researched the image is about the same

That may be, but you don't get the cool throttle with the Coronado. I can't comment on the image comparison until I have sat both scopes side-by-side at the same time and seen for myself.

Stephen Ramsden seems to disagree (this is about the Lunt L60) "I would say that the view visually was far beyond any PST I had used before and slightly less detailed than my single stacked 90mm Coronado. The background was much darker and crisper in this scope than in any of my Coronados. The LUNT was a little more contrasted than the Coronado MS60 in my opinion and had a far easier to use tuner and focuser at almost half the price of the Coronado MS60."

http://www.stephenra... Compressor.pdf

To be fair though, there's probably very little in it and you would not know unless you tested them back to back. He does a good comparative test between the Coronado and the Lunt here:

http://www.stephenra...Max II 60mm.pdf

"You pays your money and you takes your choice"

The Lunt isn't perfect though. The stock GSO focuser is fairly primitive and is out of place on a £3K scope IMHO. It can be improved by tweaking the grubscrews, but in my opinion the best thing is to replace it. The Feathertouch option (again IMHO) is overkill. I replaced the stock focuser with a Baader Planetarium Steeltrack and it make a massive difference to the feel and usability of the 'scope.

Stephen Ramsden seems to disagree (this is about the Lunt L60) "I would say that the view visually was far beyond any PST I had used before and slightly less detailed than my single stacked 90mm Coronado. The background was much darker and crisper in this scope than in any of my Coronados. The LUNT was a little more contrasted than the Coronado MS60 in my opinion and had a far easier to use tuner and focuser at almost half the price of the Coronado MS60."

http://www.stephenra... Compressor.pdf

To be fair though, there's probably very little in it and you would not know unless you tested them back to back. He does a good comparative test between the Coronado and the Lunt here:

http://www.stephenra...Max II 60mm.pdf

"You pays your money and you takes your choice"

The Lunt isn't perfect though. The stock GSO focuser is fairly primitive and is out of place on a £3K scope IMHO. It can be improved by tweaking the grubscrews, but in my opinion the best thing is to replace it. The Feathertouch option (again IMHO) is overkill. I replaced the stock focuser with a Baader Planetarium Steeltrack and it make a massive difference to the feel and usability of the 'scope.

Many thasnks for your reply and links, a very good read. At the moment I am several months away from getting a solar scope and all the information I can gather the better.

for price to price, really id rather a PST, id love a lunt but its just too expensive when the next alternative is half the price and shows me what i want

Good point. The PST is what, £450? Is a Lunt 4 times better? Probably not.

Solar observing is cool though...being in the sun with a beer sure makes a difference to stumbling about in the dark! :grin: :grin: :grin:

391438_10151081483513281_1280547314_n.jpg

Good point. The PST is what, £450? Is a Lunt 4 times better? Probably not.

Solar observing is cool though...being in the sun with a beer sure makes a difference to stumbling about in the dark! :grin: :grin: :grin:

391438_10151081483513281_1280547314_n.jpg

Liking your set up and even comes with a beer :grin: :grin: :grin:

I'm keeping everything crossed for a PST in my Xmas stocking as I'm desperate to get my hands on one! I

usually wish for a white Christmas but this year I will be praying for a sunny one :)

good shout, sunny during the day and clear skies at night

Archived