SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Interesting objects in the night sky, UK, south facing @ 5:30 til 6:30 pm?

Having just started in this hobby with the purchase of a 200mm Dob, I'm now looking for interesting objects in the night sky that I can show my daughter. Generally, she's dong her bedtime routine by 6:30 so I need objects that are visible from sunset through to 6:30pm.

Our garden is south facing, with rather high hedges so objects to the E and W need to be high above the horizon.

Thanks for any advice!

Joln - You can print out monthly star charts at SKYMAPS then take one outside and check out some of the naked eye, binocular and scope objects listed on each map. With the whole sky shown, you can easily judge what part is visible to you.

Jon - my kids always like the ring nebula (M57)... which should be south west ish early in the evening at the moment - its in the constellation Lyra roughly half way between the bottom two stars of the 'diamond'. It should look like a small smoke ring - my kids are always impressed that its the remnants of an exploded star.

Archived