SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help - bent altitude bolt on my brand new NEQ6 !!!! :(

kirkster501

Was tightening it up and can see it has bent - the south facing one. Oh dear me......

What do I do to remove it please? I need to get into the mount somehow and saw it off..... Teh bolt is bent inside so looks liek I need to take the top part of the mount off and use an hacksaw to remove the bent bit inside...

This design is a joke !

Brand new only delivered an hour ago :(

Thanks for any advice

Steve

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was tightening it up and can see it has bent - the south facing one. Oh dear me......

What do I do to remove it please? I need to get into the mount somehow and saw it off..... Teh bolt is bent inside so looks liek I need to take the top part of the mount off and use an hacksaw to remove the bent bit inside...

This design is a joke !

Brand new only delivered an hour ago :(

Thanks for any advice

Steve

Pretty common, but you must be a strong guy to have done that! I don't know about taking it out as mine never bent that badly. I'd assume you'll need to saw it off, you can open up the side of the mount via the alt gauge on the side, but wait for someone more experienced to reply and advise you how.

In the mean time, buy these. No need to question them or wonder if they're necessary. They are, every NEQ5/6 owner should get these immediately. They don't address the engineering failure in the mount but they are far superior bolts. Good luck :)

Hi, this happened to me on my EQ5 mount. The only way I could get it out was to straighten it up as much as possible with a pair of pump pliers, and then use them to unscrew it. If you can do this, replace it with a normal 5mm bolt (I think that was the size). You can take the mount off and get to it from the inside, and then try to straighten it out. Then undo it from either end. I would be cautious about cutting the bolt off just in case it's cross threaded, then you may be stuck. I think you can buy a drill bit which can remove bolts, or you could try drilling it out if all else fails, but this would be an extreme resort. Hope you manage to do it.

Kevin.

I am going to contact FLO to get them to change it. I did nothing wrong and should not need to be taking the mount to bits....

Their customer service is second to none IMHO. Shouldn't be a problem. Then when they send it to you get a set of the Astro developments bolts linked to above, I know you shouldn't have to but they really are a no brainer.

Their customer service is second to none IMHO. Shouldn't be a problem. Then when they send it to you get a set of the Astro developments bolts linked to above, I know you shouldn't have to but they really are a no brainer.

p.s. I only felt the need to change the latitude bolts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EQ6-NEQ6-upgraded-Latitude-Adjustment-Bolts-skywatcher-/280622359837?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item415665651d

I think it really depends how confident you are with doing it. A mounts a big thing to send back and mess about with, some might choose just to try and deal with it. Obviously you're completely in your right to get a replacement, although either way i'd strongly recommend the bolt replacement.

Very confident doing it. But not going to.... Would mean me snapping off the altitude and "NEQ6" stickers for start to get access to the innards of the tilting mechanism and effect its resale value should I decide to sell it at a later date.

Al they need to do is send me a new mount unit - I can keep the tripod etc - and swap it out there and then on the doorstep.

Agreed about the bolt replacement - I am going to order some now :)

Steve

I have raised a case with them - I know they are renowned for customer service so no worries there. I could start drilling etc to get it out but with something brand new why should I?

If you take a drill anywhere near it you will come unstuck if you then can't get the bolt out or damage the mount further. I strongly advise against it to keep your consumer rights intact.

Yes, it is a bulky item and a pain to wait around for a swapout but not as much of a pain as finding another £900 for a new one.

Yeah i wouldn't drill apart my mount even if there was a pot of gold hiding in there. I can't really visualise how bad the bend is, mine was about 5 degrees bent and i was able to waggle it out without damage. If yours is really that severe though sending it back is the only advisable option.

If you take a drill anywhere near it you will come unstuck if you then can't get the bolt out or damage the mount further. I strongly advise against it to keep your consumer rights intact.

Yes, it is a bulky item and a pain to wait around for a swapout but not as much of a pain as finding another £900 for a new one.

Indeed. Sorting it out with FLO now - they are top guys.

Already ordered the replacement bolts.

No way am I taking anything apart even though I am mechanically minded enough. If it was a few years old and no warranty then fair enough. But not a brand spanker....!

Seen you alot on here Steve and sorry to hear you've had this grief....I thought it only happened to me! You don't need that.

As previoudly mentioned it's unacceptable when buying this "quality" kit to find they've used unfit for purpose screws. It seems all manufacturers are trying to reduce costs (not only in astronomy...Look at all the vehicle recalls) but really...for the sake of fitting decent screws people would buy with confidence.

On the other hand, When manufacturers produce shoddy goods, someone steps in to re-engineer it as it should have been so I suppose it creates an opening. I'm thinking of the focusser on my Meade LX200 which was awful....Unacceptably cheap on a scope of this standing. Some guy came up with the Ezifocus replacement (How it should have been made) and is enjoying the fruits.

Hope you get it sorted buddy

Yeah i wouldn't drill apart my mount even if there was a pot of gold hiding in there. I can't really visualise how bad the bend is, mine was about 5 degrees bent and i was able to waggle it out without damage. If yours is really that severe though sending it back is the only advisable option.

Indeed, Maybe merely some real brute force and ignorance required. But I dare not risk stripping the threads. I think what it needs is to open up the mounting plate/tilting assembly, saw off the bolt from inside and it will then come out. But that means breaking into the mounting assembly and that's a no-no.

Stephen (kirkster501) mentioned this thread so I thought it might be good to discuss this openly so if anyone else bends their bolt they will know the solution.

If you are careful to release one bolt before tightening the other then the bolt will not bend. Unfortunately if you do bend a bolt the repair is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Whether you bend it in the first hour, first month or first year. They still won't repair it under warranty. But, bolts do occasionally bend (but not as much as some might have you believe) and it isn't fun telling new owners that the repair is not covered under warranty so we usually collect/repair/return the mount free of charge as a gesture of goodwill :angel:

If you have bent a bolt so much that it won't unscrew, it is possible to remove it at home using only a spanner, junior hacksaw and a screwdriver. First remove the base of the mount (remove the plastic circular cover-disc to reveal the fixing bolt) so you can see the bent bolt. Then gently unscrew the bent bolt until it won't come out any further. With a junior hacksaw saw off the length of bolt that protrudes from the mount, leaving 2-3mm. Use the same hacksaw to cut a groove (like a screwdriver slot) across the top of the sawn off bolt. Then use a screwdriver to screw the bolt all the way in until it falls out. Then fit a replacement.

Hope that helps,

Steve

I don't have an NEQ6 but I've been reading about this problem for ages now.

Isn't it time the cheapscapes at SkyWatcher did something about it? Frankly if you pay a thousand quid for something it damn well should be 'fit for purpose'.

I don't have an NEQ6 but I've been reading about this problem for ages now.

This doesn't only apply to the NEQ6, the same is true with the EQ3, EQ5, HEQ5 and Celestron equivalents.

I agree a design modification would help, but let's put this into context. The NEQ6 is the BEST mount available at it's price. It really is a one-horse race. No other mount comes close. And bent bolts are not as common as you might think. We experience around two cases like this every 12-18 months (I suspect the suppliers of replacement bolts are suggesting differently).

Regarding replacement bolts: If you unscrew one bolt before screwing in the other then you will not bend the bolt. And bending a bolt is much more desirable than stripping the thread in the mount casting. So if you are using a stiffer bolt you still need to be careful. Also, make sure the replacement bolt has a rounded head otherwise it will tear into the casting.

Anyhow, we are collecting Stephen's mount and repairing it free of charge so please don't shoot the messenger :smiley:

Steve

Yes, and the customer service is noted Steve, by us all I am sure.

Despite that , I am hard pressed to understand what, if anything I am supposed to have done wrong.... The bolts went in just fine then got stiff when the latitude started to increase - as you'd expect - but then bent..... Why? What more could I have done? The "north" bolt was not even installed at this stage.

All the same thanks Steve and to FLO for your exemplary customer service.

The bolts went in just fine then got stiff when the latitude started to increase - as you'd expect - but then bent..... Why?

Did you adjust latitude before you fit the telescope and counterweights? If you did then it requires only fine adjustment after the telescope and counterweights are fitted and balanced.

All the same thanks Steve and to FLO for your exemplary customer service.

No problem :smiley:

Steve, can you tell them to put an angle reflector on the polar scope too? I'm 26 and pretty sure i've broken my neck 34 times since owning the mount. Not to mention slipping and landing cheek first in the mud every time i perform my midnight achromatic display.

To the point re: bolts though, the stock ones are not ergonomic at all, the replacement ones are longer and 5 times easier to turn and handle too. I found the stock ones impossible at times. I also don't think it comes down to just making sure you unscrew/screw - i've always done this but the simple fact is if you have a heavy rig, trying to screw the bottom bolt and leverage any weight you have on the mount became the bending culprit. You should bump your price up a bit and sell the mounts with the replacement rig :p (and give me 20% commission on the off set margin? :kiss: )

Anyway, like you say is it the best mount on the market for the price and minus the problems every NEQ6 owner knows about i can't really fault it.

Not shooting the messenger either, you're safe, i spend a lot of my salary with you :rolleyes:

No counterweight or scope at all, just the mount. Stiff yes, finger cutting and tiring to screw in yes. But was only using my hands and not cross threaded. The bolts went in fine the first two cm but then got stiff has the altitude increased. Then bent...,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLO to the rescue. Top quality service.
These bolts are very much like my Citroen C4, it was a lovely car to drive and very reasonably priced, but even when it was running well I always thought it was just about to fall apart. Like my bolts I traded the Citroen in for something that felt like it was better made and never regretted doing so.
Unlike my Citroen you have been lucky enough to buy your mount and it's bolts from a great dealer.

Steve, can you tell them to put an angle reflector on the polar scope too? I'm 26 and pretty sure i've broken my neck 34 times since owning the mount. Not to mention slipping and landing cheek first in the mud every time i perform my midnight achromatic display.

I'll send them a link to this thread :smiley:

To the point re: bolts though, the stock ones are not ergonomic at all, the replacement ones are longer and 5 times easier to turn and handle too. I found the stock ones impossible at times. I also don't think it comes down to just making sure you unscrew/screw - i've always done this but the simple fact is if you have a heavy rig, trying to screw the bottom bolt and leverage any weight you have on the mount became the bending culprit. You should bump your price up a bit and sell the mounts with the replacement rig :p (and give me 20% commission on the off set margin? :kiss: )

Joking aside, I am sure it isn't difficult to source suitable replacement bolts and bolts aren't expensive when bought direct. I have seriously considered sourcing a load then including them free of charge with the heavier NEQ6 mount. Now, if someone were to investigate then point me to a suitable item/manufacturer/supplier I'll see if I can make it happen. Promise :smiley:

Not shooting the messenger either, you're safe, i spend a lot of my salary with you :rolleyes:

Well done that man :icon_salut:

Archived