Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Floating Planet - has this been discussed?

whooshbang

Saw that on the news this morning. My first thought was how do they find something like that? it's not going to be very bright! what sort of magnitude would it be? By way of comparison a quick look on stellarium suggests Jupiter's absolute magnitude is about 26 but this planet is not near any stars to light it so just how dim is it and how do they go about finding it?

I notice on the BBC report they showed photos from the infrared so and suggested it has a temperature of about 700K so is it self luminous in the infrared? is that the only way to see it? and if so why would it be self luminous, is it just residual heat following its formation and just how long would it take to become a cold dark truly invisible lump?

I have often thought when I read about stellar nurseries like Orion that all sizes of objects must be being formed in there, but that it is only the big stars that we tend to see. Perhaps this how this 'planet' formed. I would have thought that more likely than being kicked out of orbit around a parent star.

I also would have thought that wandering planets would be common place.

It seems reasonable to conclude differing size objects could be "born" and that we only see the brightest i.e the stars.

Obviously the word common should be taken on a cosmological scale i'm not saying there's a whole gang of them waiting around the next dark ally to apocalypse our butts.

Don't even get me started on the whole is there life out there, if you're asking the question you obviously didn't understand it properly in the first place....the universe is teaming with life, planets and chocolate tea pots (although whether they contain tea or not remains one of lifes TRUE mysteries)

Archived