Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
TakMan

Early M42 Orion (wide) in Ha - WIP

It's been ages - well the best part of a year since I sold my trusty OSC self-guiding SBIG camera and replaced it with a Mono (via Ian King) due to my increasing light pollution...

I've become a part time beta tester in the process for Canada based Apple Mac astro software developer - Microprojects, whilst trying to sort out the new STF8300M imaging camera and the 'dog' of an ST-i guide camera (it would be nice if SBIG pulled their finger out and sorted new drivers considering it's advertised as Mac compatible - so 'be warned' any Mac purchasers at the moment as the thing does not appear to like PHD either), but, we are nearly there (well I have an image at least - although I very nearly jacked the imaging game in to go back to visual), as I have spent ages 'garage' testing software whilst everyone else has been imaging and improving...... most depressing ;-(

Still the odd issue with the STF locking whilst downloading an exposure and more annoyingly, on/off guiding due to 'corrupting' guide stars (ST-i) we think due to fluctuating noise levels playing havoc with the auto dark subtraction....or it could all be driver related(!), but an image at last to show you!

Still a work in progress - need more exposures and some shorter ones for the core - plus brushing up my processing skill again!

Not sure if I'll go for RGB colour or try a full narrowband image at some stage....

At the moment though I may just stick with Ha and try to build up a decent 'core' library to add to in the future - and resolve the last software issues....

Details:

M42 Orion Nebula - Ha, 11th Nov 2012 WIP - still to get 'core' data.

Only 15 x 600 sec exposures

Takahashi FSQ106-ED + dedicated F/R @f/3.6

SBIG STF8300M + Baader 7nm Ha filter. Guided with SBIG ST-i via ST-80 via MicroProjects Equinox Image (beta test)

'Scopebuggied' Takahashi EM400 mount - controlled via MicroProjects Equinox Pro (all on a 17" MacBook Pro)

Preprocessed (Darks and Flat frames), aligned and stacked in Nebulosity 3. Processed in Adobe Photoshop CS5

Would appear that I'm not the only one who has suffered camera, mount, computer issues.... stupid game this imaging!

Thanks for looking....

post-4105-0-42255200-1352850413_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Crikey! Thats is gorgous. Lovely detail. You certainly seem to be having some issues but i suspect most of us would quite happily suffer those woes for results like that ;)

WOW! That's a tremendous image :) Do nicely for your long exposure layer. Do a shorter exposure and combine in PS (or whatever) and you'll have a really splendid image. Add colour and Bob'a your uncle :) Brilliant start IMO :)

Thanks folks.... you are right Gina; next clear spell, I'll be adding a few more 10 min subs to reduce the noise still further and experimenting with 1-3 min sub exposures for the core. Photoshop all the way!

Despite the 'issues', I'm really happy with the sensitivity (over the old SBIG ST-4000XCM camera) and not having to worry about light pollution to the same degree, although I won't be getting many 'finished colour' images I can foresee. I do like the authenticity and structure that a monochrome image has though - Perhaps I'm just getting old!

There is some slight elongation of the stars in the upper left corner(?) this could be from some slight misalignment (chip face, focuser, connections, etc - or that I am slightly out with the spacings (supposed to be a strict 72.2mm from the reducer to focal plane - I think I'm about 0.7mm out (ish)... was hoping that the small sensor would not be affected by that, but at f/3.6 I suppose it could be...?) I think though I shall leave well alone, if I try and play, I could easily introduce the error somewhere else and besides it's not too intrusive....

For a bigger version, see: http://astrob.in/full/24761/

Clear skies...

Damian

Edited by TakMan

The detail is awesome, the image is so smooth and sharp if you know what I mean. Once you get the extra data for more noise reduction and the core done this is going to be even more awesome than it already is.

Beautiful pic, that cocoon bubble wrapping around the running man is so weird in Ha compared to the Lum data.

Tom

Great data you have got so far, and i cant wait you to add more.... evening if im going to have to wait a year for some colour :)

I hope you get all of the bugs ironed out soon, and get more time out with the scope

Thanks again everyone...

Keiran, love your 'IT' moto over your avatar - if only that suggestion had worked for all the camera/guide issues.....?!

"Wait a year for colour".... come on, this is the UK - make that two at least!

Damian

WOW!! The detail in that id incredible :)