Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
lhuchison

new scope question

i need some new scope advise. I,m getting tired lugging round my 8in newt and frequent collimating, I love my Tal100rs frac but not enough aperture for DSOs. I was thinking of a Celestron C8 but i hear alot of negatives about cooling

times

. i do keep it in the lounge so i could be looking at a couple of hours.

Any ideas what i should go for in the 600-800 area? No imaging planned just general observing.

To my eyes the most portable visual systems next to the 8" and under dobs is the nexstar se the nexstar 6 comes at the top of your budget and it is a very capable scope it doesn't take as long to cool as a c8 because of it's smaller apparture but will be just as good at planets as your dob because what it loses in resolution it makes up for in tracking. It will not be as good at nebula as your 8" though but should be pretty good.

If you get a C8 then you are lugging round an 8" SCT, instead of an 8" Newtonian.

Weight wise not a lot really, the OTA is just below 6Kg.

The 8" edge ota is a kg heavier and 50% more expensive than the c8 . My mate who collects cats claims that his edge c12 is his favourite visual instrument. If you are using an eq5 at the moment you may have to upgrade your mount a c8 will just go on it a c8 edge will be too much scope for that mount.

For a lightish, portable-ish set up, I found that around the given price range, the biggest aperture to weight ratio I could find was a C8 on an AZ4. No doubt there are other options, but if I recall correctly, this would be lugging something like 15kg or so. I've also read at various sources that the cool down time (obviously depending on the extremities of difference) wasn't that significant with the C8 and probably within an hour or so would be more than ready to go. I was almost on the verge of saving up for this kind of set up, almost, that was, until I started looking into portable dobs. Maybe that would be an interesting line of investigation?

Edited by Qualia
  • Like 1

Why not sell the 8" Eq mounted Newt and get an 8" Dob. It'll set up faster than a C8 and cost less. Minimal cooling issues. Collimation should be taking under 5 minutes. If it's not then maybe you need to get rid of the set screws on the secondary or use a better tool.

I don't know how others feel but if i take one of my smaller scopes out for a quick look, I end up getting one of the bigger ones out later!!!!!! thinking i wish i had done it at the beginning. What i want is a 16inch newt that weighs 5kg any ideas?!!

I'm in a wheelchair and about a yr ago i bought a Celestron 8SE (similar to the C8), because it was the biggest aperture scope available to me that was extremely portable. Its crazy stupid just how light the setup is to transport from the house to outside (even for me).

Cooling down is no more of an issue then with other scopes. I keep my 8SE in a back room that is not usually heated, so it's cool down time is less then if kept in a heated lounge.

I would seriously consider the Celestron SE range or the C8 if budget allows.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your advice. pulled the trigger on a C8. to use on my eq5. it seems best aperture to weight ratio and my back is not getting any younger!

I,m keeping the Tal as i grown fond of it!! cracking views with this russian beauty. My dew shield and telrad will swap over. but the 200p is going and i've just flocked it!

Please please give me a clear sky !

• Like 1

A lovely scope by all and everyone's account, Ihuchison. Me thinks you've got yourself just about the perfect set up what with the Tal and C8. Good luck with the winter's clouds :smiley:

Thanks Qualia, its so frustrating having a brand new toy, (scope) sitting there with thick cloud all night. It moves like a dream on the eq5

perfect balance. It seems to be well liked in reviews, i'll do a first light report soon as i get the chance!

• Like 1

Congrats lhuchison, echo the above sentiments about your great selection of scopes :cool:

The C8 should be perfectly behaved on an EQ5... a nice wide and/or long focal length EP (depending on your sky glow) would make a great addition :D

• Like 1

Thanks Dunkster, i will be looking for the widest possible ep for this set up. not sure what that would be? my widest is a 25mm x-cel 25mm .

The 25mm x-cel(lx?) should be really nice in the C8 and will give you almost 3/4 of a degree FOV. To go much wider you will need a 2" diagonal... which then opens up a lot of new choices for a wider view. What might work out well for you will depend on a lot of things... light pollution where you observe ('sky glow' from too low a magnification reduces contrast, tints the view with orange!) and budgets will be the big ones. Many (but not all) of the bigger eyepieces will have decent eye relief. Here's a few suggestions, all of which should give 1.3 degrees or more FOV (I think the 42mm Vixen will give the absolute widest), but there are loads of others in the 30-something mm 68-72 degree area that should work well (with reduced FOV) if your sky glow is not the greatest:

40mm SW Aero

40mm ES 68 degrees

40mm Pentax XW (extinct?)

41mm TV Panoptic

42mm Vixen LVW

• Like 1