Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 650d or Nikon 5100

Hitesh

Well I'm considering buying a new camera which will eventually become part of my imaging rig, but I'm torn between these two cameras, please can anyone suggest which of the two or even suggest another dslr; I plan on using it everyday so will not modify.

I am no expert here but to start it off I believe there is far more support f or AP with Canon.

See if the more experienced agree

Yeah I believe there there are programmes like backyard eos and apt for canon but does anything exist for Nikon?

The Nikon D5100 is a really good camera. It's practically as good as the D7000 that is the flagship DX sensor camera. It also is more sensitive to IR than the canon equalivents. In my eyes it lacks long exposure settings (but you can fix that for a few pounds on ebay with a timer remote) and mirror lock up.

With that being said, Canon has much better software support for AP and the community is more used to modding. I like Nikon, have always done, but if I weren't biased I'd probably have considered Canon.

So, if you can find no specific reason to chose Nikon, I'd recommend Canon for AP.

I always fancied another Nikon, I bought into digital when the coolpix 950 was launched £1200 !! Ouch, I then bought a D30 for nearly 2K a year later... I was stuck with Canon after that for years because I had invested in decent lenses.. Astronomy came along and I sold my equipment and got into CCD's. I still have a real wish to get into Nikon but the software isnt as good as whats available for canon..

Nikon you will need - Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 or Capture One someone once said Adobe Lightroom also tethers..

Nikon you will need - Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 or Capture One someone once said Adobe Lightroom also tethers..

Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 didnt support the D5100 last i looked, however NKRemote works decently, even if you still cannot take more than 30 seconds without a timer remote or fiddly bulb mode of some kind.

Beauty! Ive just bought a 350d to do astro with as I thought you couldn't control your nikon from your lappy.

Oh well shall keep my nikon for every day use as its a braw camera.

Super job, the little 350D does a great job, now all you need is a bit of courage and hack it for astro imaging.. :D

I have just invested in a 650D having previously had a Nikon D40, so I thought long and hard about converting brands.

The 650D is a fine camera, I have been very pleased so far. I use it for a lot of family stuff as well as AP.

Do you have a range of Nikon lenses to use? How much will you want to tinker and try out various software options?

Two very good cameras, no doubt, but this probably comes down to a personal choice, perhaps influenced by those 2 questions.

Good luck!

Martin

I've been using Nikon for years, but when I got into astro photography Nikon simply didn't fit in at all.

I really love the Nikon when it comes to EVERYTHING but astro photo but without any software API:s on the Nikon side you would be more or less out in the cold when it comes to control software.

But as I said, for all other use, I find the Nikon in that price range to be much better in everyday handling than Canon.

I use Nikons exclusively and have done for years. See my results on my web pages below.

I use a cheap timer control I plug into the camera to take my subs.

Makes the whole process really simple rather than running lots of software to try and take exposures.

I know Canon actually has a camera out specifically for astro imaging - the 60Da. I would suggest the Canon 600D, not the 650D as it is better suited to astro imaging. Although I will always be a Canon person, I believe that Nikons have better colours, Canons seem to be slightly blue but that's nothing you can't sort in photoshop. ;)

I know Canon actually has a camera out specifically for astro imaging - the 60Da. I would suggest the Canon 600D, not the 650D as it is better suited to astro imaging. Although I will always be a Canon person, I believe that Nikons have better colours, Canons seem to be slightly blue but that's nothing you can't sort in photoshop. ;)

Whats the difference between the 600D and the 650D that is relevant to AP? I am asking becuase I have recently purchased a 650D - so just wondering out of interest really.

Thanks

Martin

Archived