Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun In White Light 13-11-2012. 14:00

Steve Ward

Patience was the name of the game today , in more ways than one . . .

Dreadful conditions at 10 'o' clock , thick hazy cloud , contrails galore and awful seeing . . . :embarrassed: . . . had a go but struggled to get anything worth using . . .

I then got called out to an "emergency" job . . . rushed over to find a gross exaggeration and a ten minute fix . . . :p . . . don't you just love customers sometimes ? . . especially when they then have the audacity to squeak about a very reasonable bill . . . :mad:

Got home to find conditions had improved vastly , the hazy stuff had thinned out , the contrails had all but gone and the seeing was much , much better . . . :laugh:

Shot 204 frames before the greenery cut the session short , started going through them and had a job to find a bad one . . . so to save faffing about I stacked the lot . . . !

13-11-12Done204-204-P.png

1000D + ST120 + ND3.8 + 1.8 x Barlow + UHC + S/L.

1/1600s @ ISO 100 , 204/204 , Reg 5.1 , Gimp2.8.

Evening Duane ,

Shot with a Canon 1000D ,

Through a Skywatcher Startravel 120 ,

Filtered with Baader ND3.8 Solar film ,

Enhanced slightly with a UHC filter and Skylight filter ,

Individual frames stacked in "Registax"

Tweaked ( mainly UnSharpMask ) in Gimp Version 2.8.

Steve.

I am guessing my SW180 pro has too strong magnification to get a shot like this? I'm assuming because i can't even get a full moon in it and obviously the moon and sun are the same size with regards to perception. But if i got solar film I should be able to get shots similar to this?

I am guessing my SW180 pro has too strong magnification to get a shot like this? I'm assuming because i can't even get a full moon in it and obviously the moon and sun are the same size with regards to perception. But if i got solar film I should be able to get shots similar to this?

The image size is dependent on the focal length. I shoot solar (and lunar) images with a 127 Mak and 450D and the discs just fit on the sensor. The 180 Pro Mak has a much longer focal length so I think you'd not even get two thirds of the disc on a similar size camera sensor. It would probably be possible to capture the image as two halves and stitch them together after stacking though. Not easy, maybe, but possible...

James

You'll have to do a mosaic to get a full disc using the Mak , but you'll get some stunning close-ups .

Unfortunately the ND3.8 Imaging film isn't available in A4 sheets like the ND5.0 Visual film , it comes in a 500mm x 1000mm roll at about £55.00 . . .

I fear that you'll struggle to get a fast shutter speed , 1/1000s or faster , with the ND5.0 and an f/15 scope , the higher the shutter speed the better as it helps to freeze the effects of the atmosphere.

Steve.

Nice one Steve, lots of detail and loads of active regions. Sadly no sun at all here, didn't even bother bringing my scope in to work this week.

Looks like there is loads going in Hydrogen Alpha, judging by Gong anyway (http://halpha.nso.edu/).

Have you tried here . . . . http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/SDO_Self_Updating_6.htm

Takes a while to load , but well worth the wait . . .

Steve.

Archived