Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

the yesyes observatory - let the planning begin

yesyes

Thanks for having a look.

Yes, I know about the slopes. The problem I had is to stay within the permitted 2.50m max height with those rather high foundations and still have acceptable head room. I did some research and found that the recommended minimum slope is 2%. So that's what I used for the warm room roof. The roll off roof has a (roughly) 4% slope.

Do you think this could be a real problem? Rain will probably run off alright but snow might become a problem. I guess I'll just have to clear it off when it does snow. I couldn't think of any other way...

What I'm quite worried about is that front middle 4x4" upright between door and window. I have no way of bracing that one properly. I'm hoping that the long runner joist going across it will hold it.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the front door of the obsy...

I see on most images (on here and elsewhere) that the doors are clad vertically while the rest of the building is clad horizontally. Is there any particular reason for that? Can I not clad the door the same way as the rest of the building? I think it would look nicer...

I'm not sure if there's a structural reason, but one benefit of cladding the door vertically is that it's easier to achieve a neat cosmetic finish (and more accurate fit) on the long vertical edges. A trimmed vertical panel presents an unbroken edge down the hinge and jamb edges and leaves fewer end-grains exposed (that would have to be aligned). It's probably easier to brace the door for rigidity too with fewer, larger pieces.

Adrian

I did mine horizontally and I like the look :) The opening edge is capped with a vertical piece of 22 x 75mm. The hinge edges simply butt up against the fixed pieces and pretty much line up with them. I think it's purely personal taste. I think the reason for vertical planking is that it's less work.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been suggested to me that I might be able to use plasterboard for the lining of the inside walls (warm room and scope room) as this would work out a lot cheaper than ply sheets.

What's your opinion on that? Would plasterboard be suitable for an obsy?

It has been suggested to me that I might be able to use plasterboard for the lining of the inside walls (warm room and scope room) as this would work out a lot cheaper than ply sheets.

What's your opinion on that? Would plasterboard be suitable for an obsy?

I'd be concerned about it being affected by damp.

James

So not even the green moisture resistant plasterboard would be suitable?

Anyway, having checked the prices a bit more it looks like plasterboard isn't that much cheaper, if not more expensive, than thin ply.

Where do you get 3.6mm ply from for £6.95 a sheet? Are these 4x8 foot sheets?

• 3 months later...

Archived