Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7000 "The Wall" False Colour

SlipperySquid

Hi all,

This is the first image I have completed for a while though I have another couple on the go that I hope to complete by the end of the year!

So this one is "The wall" section of the North America nebula in the constellation of Cygnus.

Has been a bit of a nightmare getting the data together due really poor skies but I managed to grab the last of my SII data around bonfire night.

Image consists of 19x15 minute subs in both Ha and OIII and a further 24x15 minute subs in SII

Image stacked and calibrated within MaximDl, processing duties taken care of within Photoshop cs4 and Pixinsight.

CCD and scope where the ever venerable Atik 16hr and Megrez 72

I know the false colour palette is not to everyones tastes (Yes Olly that means you :p ) but I think this image has a lot going on with the colours subtly passing through each other,and I especially like the how the small stars in the dark dust clouds light up little pockets.

I really like the final image but I'm always open to critique or ways to improve so fire away!

The star halo's are an unfortunate side effect introduced when I popped in my Televue reducer/flattener though I tend to think it adds to image of the star being a bright source of light as opposed to just a white dot.

Anyways as usual I waffle to much, have a looksee and see what you think!

Clear skies all,

Matt.

post-5302-0-65893500-1352817359_thumb.jp

Thanks again ladies and gents!

"Velvet" I totally get what you mean but for me I want the image to be interesting that is to say not just red or varying degrees of red with a smattering of pink. When I show people at home the images I produce, the false colour ones anyway, they are astounded by the multitude of colours that to them exist in space, the richness of varying cloud formations with there golden, turquoise and cyan hues! Do I tell them that actually what you are seeing is a representation of narrowband images mapped to falsely represent colour and edited in photoshop to better distinguish the different image lines? Of course not :D they all think that space is a multi coloured ,kaleidoscopic,rainbow of magic and to be honest I think they are better for it ;) we all need some magic in our lives!

I just want to make pretty space pictures to the best of my ability with the kit I've got for my own personal joy and for those I know that never take the time to look up at the night sky and wonder what is out there!

Clear Skies all

Matt.

Very nice image indeed sir. Im not always a fan of the hubble pallette but for some targets it definately works well and this is one of those targets. For instance i think Orion or horsey only work in true colour but this and the Rosette nebula's really lend to a false pallete.

Thanks again for the comments, I agree that some targets are better suited to hubble pallette irespective of the amount of Ha they contain (I once tried the flaming star nebula in narrowband,was not good :D ) Though narrowband lends it self better to my location due to the light pollution and poor skies.

Thanks again for the comments, I agree that some targets are better suited to hubble pallette irespective of the amount of Ha they contain (I once tried the flaming star nebula in narrowband,was not good :D ) Though narrowband lends it self better to my location due to the light pollution and poor skies.

Nice image, almost as good as mine!!! :grin: but my location is worse that your!!! :tongue: Nice to see you back here posting images.

Thanks for the love Mick and Neil :grin: :grin: :grin: Though the next image may be a while due to the weather predicted over the next few weeks, though we live in hope!

Have you gents got anything on the verge of been posted at the moment? I'm after the jellyfish but it's stll a bit low for me at the moment?

Take care and clear skies

Matt.

Archived