Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice needed on guiding

Duanebryars

Looking some advice on guiding as it really has been a bit overwhelming the amount of information on it but in particular the lack of information I have found relating to my particular scope.

I have a Skywatcher Skymax 180 pro on a eq5 mount. What I gather from guiding is I need another scope piggybacked on my scope for a guiding camera to place into. However I don't think or haven't seen any way to piggyback on a mak. Been looking at the Synguider and Orion starshoot and have been wondering if using my finderscope on the mak would be possible? I also seen another 'adaptor' that allows photographing and guiding in one.

Basically I have a rough idea but totally out of my depth in fully understanding this. (only heard of guiding last week)

Any help in particular with this would be greatly appreciated.

Also I know my particular scope/mount is not ideal for DSO's and imaging but I am currently in the market for a quicker scope, maybe a 200p or 250pds on a neq6 mount.

Hi there. You should be able to put some simple mounting rings either around the OTA, or just do a double mounting for the guide scope.

You dont need to rush to the NEQ6 immediately, you could get a guiding rig going with what you have, and then transit to a sturdier mount/OTA later.

One other consideration would be to computerize the whole mount, set up a laptop and control both guiding and mount with EQMOD. The Synguider works just fine, nothing wrong in using it, but if youre after guiding, why not set up a scalable computerized rig that you can build lots of functionality into?

Edit: That's what I'm going to do pretty soon, just need a bigger battery pack with me to run my laptop.

Both great ideas, thanks. Are the standalone autoguiders any good as I don't have a fully functioning laptop at the moment so was thinking of them to save bringing a computer into the equation. However if it were better to do so then I would have to give it some serious thought and add a laptop to my christmas list.. my ever growing christmas list.

Nothing seems wrong with the stand alones (never used one), you can check out all manner of reviews and youtubes on them.

My personal philosophy is to rather wait for the final piece of equipment instead of putting money on the in-between stuff. Tha'ts why I wen't straight for the NEQ6, since I know I will probably never have to upgrade it.

Just as long think twice about what you're investing in, and if you reckon it will become obsolete fast.

Worst case there are people who can buy it second hand from you, when you decide to move up a notch.

The stand alone autoguiders do work but I think your money would be better invested in a small laptop and a standard autoguider like the QHY5. The long focal length of your telescope is not ideal for many deep sky objects although globular clusters, galaxies and planetary nebula would be fine with it - unfortunately this focal length would not guide well with a 'finder-guider' so you would need to remove that from your equation. The EQ5 mount will be rather challenged in a deep sky imaging role with this telescope but that is not to say it can't be done!

If you have a PC and arn't to far from the Mount ect, run a set of cables out to it, Repeater 10m USB leads are less than a tenner on Amazon twin core screened flex for the power all taped together to make a umbilical cord. there are longer USB leads.. 20m in length, my solution any way.....

Bit of broom handle bores out, split, taped round the cable and a clip on the bottom and top of the tripod leg.......

DSC_9471.jpg

Now that is an idea.. would be nice to sit in my warm study which is adjacent to my observing site anyway. I also have to get my big slow PC up and running because i only use Macs and from what I've seen there isn't a lot software wise for the mac to do astrophotography etc. Not a big problem though :D

I always understood Macs to be the choice of the creative and technologically minded person, so I must admit I found it a tad strange to find such an aversion to Mac with most stacking or imaging software I have seen. Although I PC is Windows 7 and as it pains me to say, it is the best WIndows OS ever, by a country mile.

Archived