Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
huwbellamy

It's so clear but so cold...

I once heard it said that in the UK, on average, we get one clear night in ten :lol:

So, if you've got one of those 1 in 10 nights, put the cheese away, and get out there before you have to wait another ten nights :D

Dave

1 in ten? where in the UK is that then? :lol: (Apart from Selsey!)

was supposed to be clear here tonight but it isnt....

Ditto Steve

Lots of fast moving broken cloud here :lol:,and it was looking so good earlier.I think i may get up at 3ish to have a look at Orion.

Bah.. there is a white blanket of clouds.I will perhaps wake up in the morning for Saturn- when would that be? any hints?

Cheers,

Prasad

Saw Orion this morning at about 3:30 am. Beautiful. Supposed to be clear here tonight but nothing visible at all at present.

Mike

I think i may get up at 3ish to have a look at Orion.

Now that's dedication to the 'cause'!!! :lol:

Dave

Bah.. there is a white blanket of clouds.I will perhaps wake up in the morning for Saturn- when would that be? any hints?

Cheers,

Prasad

I'll see your bah and raise you a humbug. It was lovely and clear here until 22:00 when I finished work, then it clouded over. Grrrr.

Clear as a bell here and still at work, stars are a bit twinkly but stuck in the middle of a city center what would you expect :? probably in bed just before sunrise if the general public behave themselves :lol:

It was looking good here earlier on too. I was planning to stay out until dawn so I'd got the 'scope in the outside porch (which is unheated) to cool down and planned to set up around 10.30pm after being sure the neighbour wouldn't be switching his 'security' :D floodlight on for the night. It didn't look good at 10.30 and now it's even worse. There's alot of mist about and the sky is glowing orange from the town lights. I can see Vega and Deneb from the bathroom window but not much else. Last night was way clearer but I had to get up for work at 4.30am this morning so had to get my head down extra early to catch up on some much needed sleep.

Here's hoping it'll be better tomorrow night or I'll have to wait yet another week - weekends are the only time I can observe. I'll be retired before I get proper first light at this rate. :lol:

Just checked the temperature, its 10 degrees C according to two different car displays so it is definitely not cold. Says the big WUSS drinking a grit big mug of hot-chocolate :lol:

I stepped away from the cheese and found M2 + M5. M13 is getting a bit less impressive now. M31 better than previous attempts and I could see the little ones either side - light pollution horrendous though. Pleides lovely - 1st time I'd noticed them - better through my binoculars (perhaps a wide field eyepiece in the future?). The double cluster in cassiopia was nice too. Too tired to stay up for Mars to rise above the houses. All in all well worth while, thanks for the encouragement. :lol:

It was clear here last night too, but it wasn't cold. I was out in a t-shirt for a while using the old 102 SLT.

My god, what a difference between the 102mm achro and the C8, never realised it before. :shock: