Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lightbridge 12 base project

Carbon

Thanks!

A little more progress this weekend.

With no counterweights I have no balance issues going from no EP to the heaviest EP until I bring the scope to about 30° altitude. Looks like I will be re-installing the set of Far Point counterweights at the rear cell.

I'm also having second thoughts about the black color of the altitude bearings looking too obtrusive due to their large size. Perhaps they should be white as well so they can blend in with the OTA.

Another mod I will be making is to add a circular strip of aluminum around near the bottom of the trusses, riveting each truss pole to the strip, thus enabling the upper tube assembly and the trusses to be installed and removed as a single, large component, similar to a split-tube dob. Portability is not important for me.

P1060897.jpg

P1060899.jpg

P1060900.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys!

Although I moved the scope's balance/pivot point about 30mm higher from the stock position I kind of figured I needed some counter weights for fine tuning the balance. The true balance point with all accessories mounted on the upper tube assembly would have been much higher which would have required a taller rocker box which I was trying to avoid. :)

one possible option is to ensure your teflon pads are the right sort of size. it's not hyper critical but if it's practical to put smaller alt pads on then this might help. generally it's ideal to have pads which approximate to 15 pounds psi. perhaps slightly smaller pads may help if appropriate.

I agree with you on the base now I have seen it. a bit like when my wife asks 'will this dress look nice on me?' I always say yes but really I have no idea until I see it. your base looks incredibly good.

a thought occurred to me about balance. make a small clamp to bridge two truss poles perhaps 6 inches or so from the top. mount your RACI finder on this and you might just find that you solve the problem for larger eyepieces? given your obvious woodworking skills, perhaps you could make it in ply?

I forgot to mention that the ABS plastic I used for the altitude bearings work incredibly well. I salvaged this material from an old, used SCT dew shield which I had no use for. Rather than paying the high price for a couple of strips of Ebony Star I decided to go this route and am glad I did.

George

P1060920.jpg

Archived