Canon 600d v Nikon D5100 - which is best?

I'm looking to get a top end entry level dslr and have narrowed my choice down to one of these 2 cameras. Question is which one to get! I want to do some astrophotography obviously, planets to start but then some DSO work after that. However I will still want to use it for everyday use. The reviews I've read all seem to suggest the Nikon has a better high ISO performance than the Canon which would tend to suggest it would be better for astro work. It also has quite a few other advantages over the Canon such as battery life is and sensor size and is in fact a bit cheaper too. That said the Canon has better image quality generally and better resolution. If truth be known I prefer the look and feel of the Canon and by all accounts its a very good camera as well. Both have a flip out screen which would be handy for photographing objects high in the sky.

So I guess the question I'm really asking is why shouldn't I get the Canon?

JOE

I'm pasting my answer from a similar thread:

The Nikon D5100 is a really good camera. It's practically as good as the D7000 that is the flagship DX sensor camera. It also is more sensitive to IR than the canon equalivents. In my eyes it lacks long exposure settings (but you can fix that for a few pounds on ebay with a timer remote) and mirror lock up.

With that being said, Canon has much better software support for AP and the community is more used to modding. I like Nikon, have always done, but if I weren't biased I'd probably have considered Canon.

So, if you can find no specific reason to chose Nikon, I'd recommend Canon for AP.

I'll also add that even if the Nikon is goon on ISO, you generally want a good mount to keep the ISO down, so that becomes less of a selling point, unless you plan on using it for other stuff.

Edit: Also consider that flip out screens and battery life becomes redundant once you start getting serious with a power tank and a laptop to control the DSLR.

Archived