SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Found it!!!!!!

Kirkos73

Finding the Crab seemed like a Gold medal to me, and I felt the same when I found M81 and M81.

Cheers John, I will look for that book on Amazon in a minute, I also want to find a download of the Messier Marathon. Cheers all.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might find Star-Hopping by Robert Garfinkle of interest to add to your list of books, I obtained a copy quite cheaply from the States and I have been most impressed. He also does a dusk to dawn Messier Marathon in the book which might interest you.

John.

Thanks for that....Looks useful and have just found a cheap (secondhand) copy.

Cheers

I had a very productive short viewing, I only popped out to the backyard to try my Celestron Skymaster 20x80's on the Pleiadies which really impressed me, I didn't want to set up my tripod so I got my scope out.

I was really chuffed in finding M1, M42 was an excellent sight at 90x, and even 'simple' sights such as the Hyades was a pleasure.

I have also found M81 and M82 with the Evostar 90 and have found it to be the ideal starter scope for me.

Next target is M101, Is it me, or is this a tough cookie to find?

Great job seeing M1 - not much to see, but what it represent is amazing. And yes M101 is indeed a 'tough cookie' keep trying though!

andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I can now add M1 to the list. Viewed from my light soaked front garden at last but it was very very faint and almost invisible against the not so dark sky- that's why I kept missing it on previous attempts. Thought it would be brighter though. I knew where to look but just wasn't seeing it. So this time round I studied the star map intensely and with the help of the 90 degree correct image 8x50 finder I was able to narrow down the search area and eventually locate it. Such a great feeling, can't wait to get to a darker site and get a proper butchers on it.Was I was going mad or what? - not seeing it in my 8" Meade SCT :icon_scratch:

Archived