Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Found it!!!!!!

Kirkos73

I took my Evostar 90 out last nite for a quick scan, I noticed Taurus high above me, by-passed our friend Jupiter and went looking for M1-Crab Nebula.

I have never had a decent enough scope to really go looking for it, but I found M1 no problem at all, just above Zeta Tauri. Although it appears as a small smudge, just nowing and realising that I was looking at the Crab Nebula made me feel like a million pounds!!!! I had the same feeling when I 'found' The Great Globular Cluster back in the summer. I am looking forward to many cold,clear nights to come.

I got my 40th approaching in May and I'm thinking of upgrading to the Celestron Omni 120. What do you think?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done on M1. It's a great object to locate.

Have you tried NGC 7789 in Cassiopeia which is also overhead. It reminds me of a bright large version of M1 when it is not resolved. It's a large glow. A dense cluster...so very different in nature.

If you get a 120 you will want a 150!

Mark

I had a very productive short viewing, I only popped out to the backyard to try my Celestron Skymaster 20x80's on the Pleiadies which really impressed me, I didn't want to set up my tripod so I got my scope out.

I was really chuffed in finding M1, M42 was an excellent sight at 90x, and even 'simple' sights such as the Hyades was a pleasure.

I have also found M81 and M82 with the Evostar 90 and have found it to be the ideal starter scope for me.

Next target is M101, Is it me, or is this a tough cookie to find?

I see you're bitten with the aperture bug very early in your astronomy career Kirk :grin: .

Well, don't worry, most of us yearn for more light grasp at one time or another.

You will progress down that road at your own pace, but make sure you enjoy all the scopes you own.

They all have a great deal to offer.

Welcome to SGL, and keep up the enjoyment of what the Universe has to offer, whatever size your scope is.

Ron.

I appreciate all the replies I've had AND any advice given, I AM going to try and get the best out of the scope that I got. Now that I have found myself on the Messier Trail, I will now give myself targets to achieve at each observing session.

I also have 'The Practical Astronomer' book which is an excellent guide that I am using to confirm my findings.

I can see myself camping out soon and take in the wonders that are above us, and it is all free. :)

You might find Star-Hopping by Robert Garfinkle of interest to add to your list of books, I obtained a copy quite cheaply from the States and I have been most impressed. He also does a dusk to dawn Messier Marathon in the book which might interest you.

John.

congratulations on seeing the crab, it really is one of the more historically interesting objects in the sky in my opinion

it was seen by Chinese astronomers as a supernova 1054, according to records, was visible during the daytime for 23 days, shining six times as brightly as Venus. Other observations of the explosion were recorded by Japanese, Arabic, and Native American stargazers and we get to see the remnants today!

Archived