SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

LED-headlamp, how to dye red?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did the inside of a cheap (<£3) led headlamp with a combination of nail varnish and a couple of layers of red acetate I 'liberated' from some 3d glasses one of the kids got in a magazine. Works pretty well - the lamp has 3 brightness levels and the combination of the varnish and acetate means the lowest setting is nice and dim for map viewing, while the highest setting is good enough to stop you tripping over things while moving around

I got a head torch that cycled between 2 brightnesses of white and a fairly dim red. I snipped the contacts of the white LEDs and so now it's just a red LED light.

For my torch I got a small LED variant and then applied Halfords brake light repair tape.

I also have an old style (not LED) rear cycle light.

Drop me a PM with your home address and I'll send you a couple of sheets of 10cm x 10cm red film that I use on my own torches. I enjoyed eating the cherry brandy liqueur chocolates that came wrapped in it! I wonder what Swedish customs will make of it :shocked:

Yeah this lamp has 3 settings, havent tried it yet, dont have any AAA batteries at home. But I dont think brightness will be a problem, since I could just add extra red stuff. Cheers again guys.

Steve, you have a PM. Oh, send me a book aswell, I just placed an order through the link in your signature.

For sale , one mrs , good at cooking cleaning and ironing , not so hot at parking , also has red hair green eyes and come from Scotland so when she loses you'd best be quick on your toes ......... Only joking ladies of sgl I wouldn't swap her for anything :)

I use the outer wrapper off the Quality Street strawberry choccies. They are not strong enough to dim a normal LED torch, but for a head toch they are just the job. How do I know? I use them when I go out bunny and rat bashing in the dead of night. (sorry to all the bunny lovers)

• 11 months later...

My wife is partial to cherry liquers. They come individually wrapped in plain dark red cellophane. I simply take a wrapper and tape it over the front of the head torch.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Archived