Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

x6gas

Wiring looms - best practice for data and power cables

People are sometimes surprised (disgusted?? :grin: ) that my cables are relatively disorderly and not bound neatly together by one of a huge number of products designed to do that.

This is because I do hundreds of hours per year of imaging and have learned the hard way that a cable can go belly up for no good reason and if you are too tidy minded it will take you hours to rebuild you neat loom. If this discovery comes just before night fall you may lose lots of imaging time! I keep it fairly loose, flexible and simple. I find USBs particularly prone to give grief though the cables into the Starlight Xpress Lodestar take the gold medal for peskiness.

Olly

• Like 1

People are sometimes surprised (disgusted?? :grin: ) that my cables are relatively disorderly and not bound neatly together by one of a huge number of products designed to do that.

This is because I do hundreds of hours per year of imaging and have learned the hard way that a cable can go belly up for no good reason and if you are too tidy minded it will take you hours to rebuild you neat loom. If this discovery comes just before night fall you may lose lots of imaging time! I keep it fairly loose, flexible and simple. I find USBs particularly prone to give grief though the cables into the Starlight Xpress Lodestar take the gold medal for peskiness.

Olly

Ah yes - but you have the luxury of a permanent set-up Olly. Carrying my mount and scope in and out of the continually, I've found one of the biggest time savers is to have the cables bound in to a loom. One (or two now in my case as I do now have seperate looms for power and data) bound loom to uncoil, all of the connectors in roughly the right place, and one loom to coil at the end of the night is a massive time saver for me. Otherwise the cables end up in a tangled mess or I spend forever carefully coiling them (and then bagging them in zip lock bags to stop them getting tangled up with everything else) or on lazy nights when I just need to go to bed and cut corners it's spagetti for breakfast!

• Like 1

Great Point Olly - I have several clients that pay me good money to come in regularly and tidy/reloom their data racks - one that's paid me to custom make all their patching to length (some 5-600 colour coded patch leads). It looks amazing for the first couple of months, but the laws of entropy soon kick in and order soon reverts to chaos. Wish I had a few more of these clients though ;)

Common sense, a roll of velcro and a couple of spare cables to hand should suffice for most needs.

Olly

Velcro cable ties are your friend ;)

Ah yes - but you have the luxury of a permanent set-up Olly. Carrying my mount and scope in and out of the continually, I've found one of the biggest time savers is to have the cables bound in to a loom. One (or two now in my case as I do now have seperate looms for power and data) bound loom to uncoil, all of the connectors in roughly the right place, and one loom to coil at the end of the night is a massive time saver for me. Otherwise the cables end up in a tangled mess or I spend forever carefully coiling them (and then bagging them in zip lock bags to stop them getting tangled up with everything else) or on lazy nights when I just need to go to bed and cut corners it's spagetti for breakfast!

Very fair point. Now the master mobile imager for being organised is Harry (not Page but a German Harry). He has an assortment of alloy boxes containing his electronics. These remain firmly closed at all times, stack together, but have sockets in them and he has numbered cables which go from one box's socket to the next then up to the scope and mount.

Very crisp and a joy to behold!

Olly

I have a loom due to no fixed obby for the mount (just yet), at the moment its 2 USB and 2 Power soon to increase to 4 power cables, dew prevention time, setting up is a dream take the loom off it hooks in the warm room unwrap going out the door and over to the Mount distance around 15' the loom then gets attached to the leg of the tripod at the top and bottom cables attached to there units,,,,the picture is a piece of broom handle bored through the middle, split then placed round the loom and taped up the whole wiring job takes around a minute......

DSC_9471.jpg

I have to keep my looms tidy at work, Channel separation and routing etc.

Airbusrack.jpg

Rear of main equipment racks Airbus A319.

• Like 2

I have to keep my looms tidy at work, Channel separation and routing etc.

Airbusrack.jpg

Rear of main equipment racks Airbus A319.

I wonder what would happen if I undid this little blue one...

Andyboy - I was hoping to get out and see great wonder in the heavens, but that looms gonna take some beating ;p

Jake