Baader Zoom set screw problem

This has probably been asked before but I cannot find anything through the 'Search' function. As anyone with a Baader Zoom knows there is a problem tightening the set screw to hold it in place in the holder as the set screw fouls the base of the EP. I guess there must be two answers to this - a longer set screw, or a spacer to hold the EP just a little further away from the holder.

Have search the 'net' but cannot find either, has anyone out there in SGL-land found an answer? If so what did you get and where from please?

Hi Richard, I think the best solution is a longer screw. The alternative, that you mention, is a spacer. A parfocal ring would do the job, cannot find any from our sponsor FLO, but found some here http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-parfocal-eyepiece-rings-set-of-four.htm and probably available from several sources.

If you have a 2" focuser, then I think that the Baader zoom comes with a 2" nosepiece, so that would sort it as well.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks Paul/Ed. I must admit that I have looked for a supplier for longer set screws and have drawn a blank - unless anyone knows where there is a sup[plier? Looks like it will have to be the par-focal ring route as that will at least give the space I need (I too have large hands) and ensure that the EP is square to the holder.

Paul, yes I have the 2" nospiece for the zoom but unfortunately I need to use the zoom on my Herschel wedge and PST, both of which are 1.25".

I can only imagine the nightmare that is looking for a single longer screw. I dont really know, but would Bobs knobs site be of any use?.

Would a spacer be the right road to go down? would that not make focusing a bit trickier?.

I am not saying they wont work, i'm asking if they would work.

My 2" nosepiece is still in the box the zoom arrived in. For a long time, i actually didnt know what the hell it was.

Or cheaper than the badder clicklock is the Orion self centering adaptor think TH do a version

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep... Moves ep out a bit though, or in :D may effect focus

Tried it, couldn't get in with it.

post-21341-135250230177_thumb.jpg

Surely any kind of adapter is going to mess with the focus. Maybe i am not understanding this. Is this about the the screw to tighten the zoom into the focuser? if so, a longer screw is the obvious answer.........a longer screw so that you can reach it and secure the zoom into the focuser.

Post # 9 Matt.........

I'd forgotten about one of those, the self centering adaptor should work nicely, if using one of them or a parfocal ring, it just means that to reach focus then the focuser needs to be racked in a bit further.

But a longer screw would be better simpler & cheaper, if you can find one that is.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks guys, I think I will probably go the par focal route. I was on Astroboot yesterday morning and saw that they had three on there for around the £3-4 mark. Went back last night to order one and see that they are shut down for a week or two. Bet they won't have any if I wait. Never mind I see Skys the Limit have them fr £8 so that sounds like an OK deal.

Archived