Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Calling all newbies!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realistically, for the telescope objects, what size telescope would you need?

I don't really think it matters! It explains what you may see with a smaller scope (usually just a smudge), and what you may see with a larger scope. From the instructions for finding each of the items, it seems to assume that the reader is a beginner, so I can only assume that the people who have compiled the list have kept in mind that novices don't tend to have the mega scopes (that cost mega £££££'s) and instead have small to mid size scopes. I have an F5 and whilst I've only managed to find a few items on the list so far, I think that some of them have eluded me due to bad weather and/or light pollution.

Even if I can't view all of the objects in the list, I'm having a good go each time the weather permits... half the fun is in taking part after all!! :grin:

Let us know how you get on when and if you decide to take part!

Hi,

I'm a newbie myself and just got my first scope. I printed the sheets off which are really helpful and clear to follow and I am now trying to get through them. It's all very slow with me getting used to using the scope and also with the atrocious weather we are having at the moment up here on the west coast of Scotland but I get togged up like all the best astronomers and get out there to enjoy the skies!! :clouds2:

I don't really think it matters! It explains what you may see with a smaller scope (usually just a smudge), and what you may see with a larger scope. From the instructions for finding each of the items, it seems to assume that the reader is a beginner, so I can only assume that the people who have compiled the list have kept in mind that novices don't tend to have the mega scopes (that cost mega £££££'s) and instead have small to mid size scopes. I have an F5 and whilst I've only managed to find a few items on the list so far, I think that some of them have eluded me due to bad weather and/or light pollution.

Even if I can't view all of the objects in the list, I'm having a good go each time the weather permits... half the fun is in taking part after all!! :grin:

Let us know how you get on when and if you decide to take part!

I am definately taking part, starting tomorrow night. Forcast is clear. I`ll let you know how it goes.

Actually had an OK night tonight... Was quite clear for most of the night! Managed a few more objects off list number 1, but M33 still eludes me! Found the path to it from Pegasus, to Mirach, to Andromeda and down..... But no M33 in sight... Was using my lowest magnification, widest FOV, 2" EP....

I suppose it could have a lot to do with the fact that we had a half moon tonight and there was loads of general LP in my area. Will try again next chance I get... It will not beat me!

On the plus side, saw Uranus tonight (no smart Alec jokes please!)....

I only managed to see M33 for the first time in September under dark skies at Kelling.

yeah, I reckon this item is gonna take a long time for me to get... But then I suppose the 'eureka' moment will be all the sweeter!

I did manage to find M57 though... And whilst in my scope it was a faint grey smudge, I took everyone's advice about getting your eyes used to the dark and kept looking in my EP, and used the averted eyes technique and slowly but surely, the image started to get more and more detailed, until I could actually see a ring shape... Was quite a satisfying moment!

Thanks to everyone so far for getting involved in this thread and sharing your experiences. The first time I tried to use my scope I thought I'd never get the hang of it, but thanks to the advice of the people on this forum, I'm starting to get more and more confident each time I go out there, and can even now find things in the sky with my naked eye, and I'm even explaining things to other people!

yeah, I reckon this item is gonna take a long time for me to get... But then I suppose the 'eureka' moment will be all the sweeter!

I did manage to find M57 though... And whilst in my scope it was a faint grey smudge, I took everyone's advice about getting your eyes used to the dark and kept looking in my EP, and used the averted eyes technique and slowly but surely, the image started to get more and more detailed, until I could actually see a ring shape... Was quite a satisfying moment!

Yes I really chuffed when I finally saw M33 clearly! As you say, it will be all the sweeter when you do manage to see it!

Congratulations on finding M57 and for sticking with it to get more detail. :icon_salut: Using averted vision can take a bit of getting used to but definitely can make a difference! Unfortunately M57 is now getting a bit too low for us. By the time we are ready to get viewing, after getting our little boy to bed, Lyra is starting to hide behind the house. I think our first views of M57 were at the SGL 4 star party and it was amazing to see the ring for the first time. In fact every time I see it, I am still wowed to see the ring!

A Skywatcher 130P:

This Sky-Watcher P13065 with Auto-tracking electric drive is in very good condition, having been hardly used. This model features premium-quality Parabolic Primary Mirrors, normally found in larger more expensive telescopes, to eliminate spherical aberrations, producing even sharper, higher-contrast images which are full of detail. A parabolic mirror is ground to a shape that brings all incoming light rays to a perfect focus, on axis. In addition they feature 0.5mm Ultra-thin secondary mirror supports, to reduce diffraction and light loss.

This is an excellent entry-level scope

Included in Sale:

Magnifications (with Eyepieces supplied): x26 & x65

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x260

Diameter of Primary Mirror: 130mm

Telescope Focal Length: 650mm (f/5)

Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm plus 2x Barlow Lens

Parabolic Primary Mirror

0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports

Red Dot Finder

Auto-Tracking electric drive

Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray

30% more Light Gathering than 114mm

All instructions and original packaging included (outer box is a bit dusty).

Comes with copy of the book 'Astronomy for Dummies'

Many thanks for posting these links - it's a great idea, and something you can really focus on. With being a newbie (and when weather permits!) I've been a bit abstract with what I've been looking for (or trying to find). At least with this I can get a focus, and it's also a great way to get to know the sky - thanks again!

Tim.

Just managed to see Kemble's Cascade! Been looking for that the last few sessions, but finally get to cross this off the list!

NB: I didn't actually find it using the guide on the list... I saw Cassiopeia and tried to map out Camelopardalis but couldn't see it at all... Maybe because of the full moon? Anyway, instead I got out my 'Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas' and noticed there were 3 stars in a sort of arch that basically point to the brightest star in the cascade. Found them with the naked eye (just - there were very faint), then found them in my bins and then located the cascade!

Followed them all the way down to NGC1502!

That's now 9 off list 1 and 2 off list 2! That really doesn't sound like a lot does it? Oh we'll, I'll be going back out as soon as I've defrosted!

Make sure you all wrap up well this evening! It's already dropped below zero here!

All being well next weekend I think I shall pop along to my local observatory and set up there. Very little light polution and also plenty of knowledgable people there to help really get me going. I have been shuffling along in bumps and starts so far and I reckon a night there could really help me move along with this.

Anyway, only one of list one but I think I have two off list two. Hard to confirm though due to massive amount of LP from my garden. That is holding me back so much and another great reason for geting myself off to the observatory again.

clear skies all

Steve

Hi everyone I am new to here, never done a blog before ad bought my first telescope yesterday. I bought a jessops Ta1100-102 reflector scope with a 6mm, 12.5 mm ad a 6mm eye pice and 3x Barlow. I did everything I could to get a focus on the moon last night and I got absolutely nowhere, does anybody have any idea if this scope can reach the moon or if I should buy different eye pieces? All I could see was a grey outline of the moon on my 6mm eye piece and Barlow. Anything would be a huge help thankyou :)

All being well next weekend I think I shall pop along to my local observatory and set up there. Very little light polution and also plenty of knowledgable people there to help really get me going. I have been shuffling along in bumps and starts so far and I reckon a night there could really help me move along with this.

Your local observatory is my local observatory! Small world!

Archived