Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Calling all newbies!

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that there are already a couple of threads on here asking for where to start and I too have been wondering the same. I've had my scope for less than a year and I know that winter is usually good for a few planets and the more well known constellations but that's all I know.

Today, however, I found something incredibly useful! I'm not sure if anyone else has seen it, but there is a link on the BBC's The Sky at Night's website to The Moore Winter Marathon (there are actually 4 links in total - located under 'Related Links').

Basically, it is 2 lists of things to see in the sky during winter; 1 for observing with the naked eye and/or binoculars, and the other for observing with your telescope. It has a total of 50 objects to look for (with varying degrees of difficulty) and doesn't seem to assume you haven any prior knowledge of stargazing, and because of the first section, you don't even need any equipment to go through the list. There are also corresponding report forms for you to complete as you go along. They are encouraging people to return the forms by the end of January 2013, if you want yours to be included in the show. I'm not sure I'll be doing that, but we could help each other out along the way.

I know that 50 items isn't a huge list to go off, but I've already started on the first list and managed to find a few things with the naked eye tonight (which I double checked in my telescope!) and it was pretty cool. There are loads of things I've never heard of! It even gives really good advice on where/how to look for DSOs and the like.

Anyway, I'm now wondering if anyone else on here was going through this and if anyone wanted to share their experiences? Whilst everyone on here has been so very friendly and helpful, I do get a little ashamed sometimes to be asking all those really experienced astronomers my stupid questions! Maybe we can use this thread to share our limited knowledge with each other?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Rae

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Rae.

I'm a newbie too. Only got my first telescope a few months ago. But I'm very keen and I didn't know about this Moore Winter Marathon. Sounds great.

Every day I learn a little more so I'm all for newbies helping each other out.

I'm going to go take a look at that website now...

Paul.

The Moore marathon is a good idea, mainly in that it provides a list of objects to go and hunt for and see.

After some time you will/can make your own, there are several lists of objects that lend themselves to being ticked off.

One of the US sites have a list of 20 coloured double stars.

Coloured Doubles

There is somewhere a bigger list.

One site to get ideas from is:

AstroLeague

Select the Observe Tab then Observing Programs alphabetically.

The classic observing list is the Messier Objects.

If you go to the wikipedia list you can reorder the list by constellation, then when that constellation gets high you can get all possible in that constellation. Should take a year to complete however 2 years seems to be the more normal.

Then is the Caldwell Catalogue, created again by SPM.

The Hershal 400 is I suppose the next.

The Astroleague has quite a few lists to use as a observing exercise. Many under the Astroleague are set up as a "certificate" program. You observe the objects, record the observations, submit evidence and get a certificate. A good way for kids to get involved.

These certificates are done by a few US and Canadian organisations but nothing here in the UK. Which I think is a failing.

So they are out there, quite a lot by the time you search and get all the options, and there is the possibility of your own: Take the wikipedia Messier list, reorder by type and do all the Galaxies, or all the Clusters, get the idea.

Thanks for the suggestions! Wow! Got loads of lists to make my way through now!

I think these lists are great for beginners! I got a GoTo scope because I don't have that much free time, and let's face it, we aren't exactly guaranteed the best weather, and I thought a GoTo scope would help make the most of the little time I have to stargaze - and it has.

However, it was sort of refreshing last night to be relying on what limited knowledge I have, and my old planetarium to find objects, and then to look at them through the telescope! I'm desperately hoping for a couple of clear hours tonight so I can get back out there!

I hope you let me know how you get on Paul!

I have seen the Winter Marathon mentioned elsewhere, but it is a great place to start. And even though I have been into this hobby for nearly 4 years, so may not be considered a newbie, I thought trying to complete the Winter Marathon might be fun. I am just waiting for a clear night to get started! There are certainly a few targets on the Winter Marathon list that I don't think I have previously seen and one or two that I have only recently started observing. As well as looking at new targets, I do like looking at ones I have seen many times before as the views can vary greatly from night to night, depending on position in the sky, seeing conditions, the moon, etc.

I didn't see the previous episode!! I might have to see if its still available on iplayer!

I did want to post the links but I was writing the post from my mobile and copying and pasting text was proving rather difficult... I'm back at my desk now so here they are:

Part 1 - Naked Eye and Binoculars

Moore Winter Marathon - Observing Guide

Moore Winter Marathon - Observing Form

Part 2 - Telescope

Moore Winter Marathon - Observing Guide

Moore Winter Marathon - Observing Form

Is anyone (at this stage) planning on returning forms to the BBC?

Rae

Well, just wanted to give a quick update.... So far, I've seen 7 of the 25 objects from part 1. I think I might have seen 2 more, but I'm waiting for clearer nights to confirm!

Not bad for only a could of nights work... And they've not exactly been the best nights either!

Great find Rae - and a really good place to start. I also like the challenges that appear in SaN now and then - it's usually a list of circa 40 objects that are currently in the sky. There was a Messier marathon some time back that I followed whilst camping in the Lakes and it's still one of the best nights I ever had with the Sct.

Another good idea isto play with the constellation tours if you have a goto handset - you get to know what's up each month throughout the year - and before you know it you can find stuff with a manual scope because you get to know what's in each constellation :)

Another good idea isto play with the constellation tours if you have a goto handset - you get to know what's up each month throughout the year - and before you know it you can find stuff with a manual scope because you get to know what's in each constellation :)

I did try this but I live in a valley and half the stuff it wants to show me are either behind a hill, or behind a house! I need to either go to the top of a very large hill, or somewhere very very flat!!

There was a Messier marathon some time back that I followed whilst camping in the Lakes and it's still one of the best nights I ever had with the Sct.

Now that sounds great!! I have the full lists of Messier objects so I think I might have to arrange a camping trip very very soon!

Hi all,

welcome to SGL. As said in the OP, the winter marathon is pretty cool. I printed the sheets off last saturday (10th Nov) and spent 6 1/2 hours under cristal clear skies and managed to bag 16 of the 50.

I've never bothered taking notes while out observing, apart from ticking Messier numbers off the list of 110. Doing the Moore winter marathon made me take notes (just simple ones, no massive detail) and has made me realize that it actually makes my sessions that bit more enjoyable.

I will make sure to write notes on all my sessions in future.

And btw don't be ashamed or embarresed to ask anyone here on SGL anything astro related, they (we) are all a good, friendly bunch, always happy to offer advice where we can.

I've been doing this hobby for two years and i'm always asking questions, as do the more experienced members.

The only stupid question, is the one you don't ask! (I heard that here on SGL!!!)

Keep us posted on your progress in the observing reports section.

Clear skies.

D.C

Archived