SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ mounts expectations/budget

maclean

You've already had great advice from a couple of real imaging gurus here (Olly and Steve), so not sure how much more someone could say here, but I'll have a go. The EQ5 is widely regarded as an outstanding mount for the cash, many believe it outperforms the EQ6 in tracking accuracy, but it won't carry much more than a medium (~80-100mm) frac and guidescope, with the associated electrickery. The EQ6 can safely carry 15kg and image ok (it might be able to carry more, but not many people image too brilliantly with 25kg on it). Like most hobbies, astro-photography follows the law of 'diminishing returns', once you start passing the EQ6 price bracket, small improvements cost alot.

There's a sky full of objects which make realistic targets for the amateur on a modest budget. If you don't go chasing the really dim, super-small DSOs you can get great photos with basic kit. (leave the stuff needing 2.5m fl to Olly etc).

:grin: The 2.4 metre rig belongs to Yves. I'm just the operator! But I agree without doubt that it is best to star at short focal lengths. The staggering increase in price that goes with a useul upgrade on the HEQ5 or NEQ6 is really not needed at short focal lengths. What, some good news for the wallet in astrophotography? Yes, and the ED80 provides a bit more, but that's about it!!!

Olly

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanting to use a 200P Skyliner in tube rings needs extra mounting compared to an Explorer 200P. The longer tube places more sail area and moment on the mount and 1200mm focal length vs 1000mm means the guiding has to be that bit better. There are advantages to using a smaller shorter focal length scope for deep sky imaging. If you really want to use the Skyliner tube, the NEQ6 is the one to get.

Archived