Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium GRS position on Jupiter

bus_ter

It's been a while (years) since I've used Stellarium to predict the GRS position. Does it now work correctly? or do you still have to find a setting online and apply it to the Stellarium config file? If so does anyone have the current figure?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for accurate GRS d/load WinJupos 10

I downloaded this and had a play. Afraid it's a bit too complicated for me and I couldn't work out how to show the GRS timings

Get Jupiter up on the Stellarium screen, zoom in, then advance the time, looking at it today it goes off the right side around midnight and comes back around 06:00.....

I'm quite aware how to see the GRS on stellarium. My questions is, have they fixed the accuracy of this in the last year or so? It used to be way off and you had to put in a correction factor into the stellarium config file.

I downloaded this and had a play. Afraid it's a bit too complicated for me and I couldn't work out how to show the GRS timings

I'm quite aware how to see the GRS on stellarium. My questions is, have they fixed the accuracy of this in the last year or so? It used to be way off and you had to put in a correction factor into the stellarium config file.

Sorry its to cloudy to check....:)

Well I've answered my own question. I just took a quick and nasty photo of Jupiter.. Stellarium shows the GRS showing.. my picture says ..NO!

Anyone know the current correction factor for Stellarium?? Someone must know what I'm talking about?

post-8564-0-86479600-1352413632_thumb.jp

OK after a lot of trial and error I have calculated what I was trying to find.

To fix the GRS prediction in Stellarium you need to edit this file:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Stellarium\data\ssystem.ini (This is the location for Windows 7/8 - you may need to enable viewing hidden folders)

Change line 161 to read this:

rot_rotation_offset = 95 #just some value good for GRS #old:151

So the current value for November 2012 is '95'.

The GRS is essentially a chaotic weather pattern, and thus can not be forecasted long term. This figure should stay accurate for several months.

If you find this thread sometime in the future, feel free to update this figure to a current value for others to use.

Thanks to that link, I've edited the file, but the spot isn't showing in the correct place according to this transit website - http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/3304091.html?page=1&c=y

Stellarium now says the closest transit to now is around 19:00 tonight, but the transit website says 13:20 or 23:15 tonight. Something is wrong somewhere!

I'm using Windows 7 and Stellarium 0.11.4

I've just tested this. I started Stellarium, forward the time to 23:15 (tonight) and zoomed in on the Spot. It's in the centre of the planet as expected. I tried 1900, and it's not showing.

Have you saved the file and then restarted Stellarium? (sorry if that's obvious).

Can anyone else verify if '95' correctly places the GRS according to forecast?

Confused! I've tried saving a number of different values this morning, yet every time I start Stellarium, the cloud patterns on Jupiter are in the same position when I zoom in. As I fast forwards time, Jupiter rotates as it should, but as of 9:00am this morning, always starts with the red spot on the far side of the planet.

I've also found how to correctly update the position of the GRS in Starry Night.

GOTO --> C:\Program Files (x86)\Starry Night Pro Plus 6\Sky Data\JupiterGRS.txt

Edit the value in the file to read 184.

This figure is actually the current Longitude of the GRS and can be found online (such as the GRS transits site above)

The stellarium figure AFAIK doesn't correspond to anything and is just a correction factor.

• 2 years later...

Just updated stellarium.  85 gets the grs very close to the prediction at calsky.com.  I went to Stellarium, data, ssystem.  I opened it in wordpad and did a search for name=jupiter.  The next instance of rot_rotation_offset = is the one I changed.  I had trouble saving my changes until I right clicked on ssystems, clicked on securiy in the properites tab, selected user, and added modify to the permisions.

Archived