Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Poland (and Scotland)

paulck

Hi all.

I'm a beginner at all this and only recently got my first telescope (the small Celestron FirstScope). I've become very quickly addicted to astronomy.

I live in south central Poland but originally come from the south-west of Scotland, which has the first Dark Sky location in the UK. So I'm going home to check it out :-)

I'm already 'outgrowing' my FirstScope and hope to get a new, more powerful scope next year. I would ideally like one that I can do some good astrophotography with as well as observing. Any recommendations?

Anyway, nice to be part of this community, I'm certain I learn loads.

Paul

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL.

The usual recommendation if you're interested in astrophotography is to get a copy of "Making Every Photon Count". That will give you a good idea of what's possible and what you need to be thinking about in terms of equipment.

James

HI Paul and welcome to the forum. It would seem that astrophotography or as we like to call it, 'the dark art' has seduced another to its lair :grin: :grin: :grin: . Any advice on equipment will naturally include a recommendation of Steve Richards' book, "Making Every Photon Count"(FLO £19.95) which is a comprehensive guide on what kit you need and why you need it to take good consistent images. For solar system objects (moon & planets) a simple webcam can suffice from which you select and stack on top of each other the best 'frames' from a timed exposure in order to construct a final composite image. Can be performed on almost any scope and because these objects are so bright, there is no need to track them for any length of time to collect sufficient 'data'. Conversely, imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae will require an accurate mount to capture their faint surface brightness to have any chance of constructing a final image. Imaging DSO's will place a technical requirement on both the scope and the mount it sits on and the above book is great at taking you through some of theory and understanding in order to help you decide on how deep you want to go and the likely budget that is required to set it up. Hope that helps with the overview.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived