SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC63 HaRGB / HaOSC(?)

Shibby

I'm never sure what to call such an image... RGB suggests I've used seperate RGB filters, which I haven't. HaOSC or HaColour maybe? :-s

Aaanyway, I started collecting the Ha several weeks ago and finally got a chance to "finish" it off on bonfire night (after the fireworks had subsided!)

I was later treated to a celestial firework in the form of an incredibly bright meteor which crossed most of the sky at very high speed before breaking up into 2 or 3 pieces.

32x4m Colour

27x10m Ha

Camera: Canon 450d modded

Scope: SW 150PDS

Mount: Vixen GP

Guiding: Orion finder guider + SPC900

PS:Holy diffraction spikes, y Cas is a bright star!

gallery_5051_1080_807890.jpg

I'm never sure what to call such an image... RGB suggests I've used seperate RGB filters, which I haven't. HaOSC or HaColour maybe? :-s

'Nice' works for me :) I like the blue you've picked up in the nebula - perhaps it should be called Ha enhanced OSC?

I was later treated to a celestial firework in the form of an incredibly bright meteor which crossed most of the sky at very high speed before breaking up into 2 or 3 pieces.

Lucky you - I'm always missing these due to looking at the screen. My neighbour who comes out sometimes gets to see them all as he doesn't image. Hmm..

James

Tricky one - I'll have the same problem before long as I intend to do the same thing :D

Aaanyway, I started collecting the Ha several weeks ago and finally got a chance to "finish" it off on bonfire night (after the fireworks had subsided!)

We were lucky here hardly any fireworks and our neighbour didn't have a bonfire this year :)
Luck you :)
PS:Holy diffraction spikes, y Cas is a bright star!
That's the trouble with Newts :(

Thanks for the comments :) I've just realised the layer alignment is a little off in the corner, darnit, might fix that later...

'Nice' works for me :) I like the blue you've picked up in the nebula - perhaps it should be called Ha enhanced OSC?

Lucky you - I'm always missing these due to looking at the screen. My neighbour who comes out sometimes gets to see them all as he doesn't image. Hmm..

Me too to be honest, I was just lucky to be outside and staring upwards at the time!

Ha+OSC??

That's the trouble with Newts :(

Yeah... I quite like the spikes normally but they get out of hand on brighter stars. One day I'd like a Mak Newt which doesn't have the same problem!

Lovely delicate image no matter how you assign the method! I have a produced a rig dedicated to doing this mix and I just call it Ha-RGB as at the end of the day, OSC is just another method of generating a colour image from red, green and blue filtration. In my case, I really ought to call it Ha + Ha(x%) + R(y%) - Ha(x%) + R(y%)/G/B but life gets a little too complex that way! Lets just say that I mix the Ha with the red iteratively and then sometimes use the 'new' red as my Luminance channel as well!

Did you use the Ha as Luminance and increase the colour saturation to adjust the 'pink' hue or did you blend the Ha with the red? Either way, its a cracker.

Thank you all :)

Lovely delicate image no matter how you assign the method! I have a produced a rig dedicated to doing this mix and I just call it Ha-RGB as at the end of the day, OSC is just another method of generating a colour image from red, green and blue filtration. In my case, I really ought to call it Ha + Ha(x%) + R(y%) - Ha(x%) + R(y%)/G/B but life gets a little too complex that way! Lets just say that I mix the Ha with the red iteratively and then sometimes use the 'new' red as my Luminance channel as well!

Did you use the Ha as Luminance and increase the colour saturation to adjust the 'pink' hue or did you blend the Ha with the red? Either way, its a cracker.

You've convinced me, HaRGB it is! I combined the Ha using both methods, once as a "lighten" to the red channel, then again as a luminance layer (blended ~60% I think it was). You can see a little pink fringing where I actually have allowed the Ha stars to bloat a little more than the RGB ones during processing (it's normally the other way around!)

nicely caught, I had a go at this one a while back, quite a faint relection neb,

but you have done very well in capturing it in all its glory , nice and smooth with nice colours and detail

Thanks - I really love these colourful nebulae that exhibit both emission and reflection nebulosity.

That really is a spooky beauty. The faint blues (probably O111 signal?) truly enhance the nebulosity. There's something tantalizing about these little hints in a good picture. I think y Cass looks fine. I suspect that most refractors would struggle with that one as well and give a rather gross blob!

Olly

Thanks Mark and Olly!

That really is a spooky beauty. The faint blues (probably O111 signal?) truly enhance the nebulosity. There's something tantalizing about these little hints in a good picture. I think y Cass looks fine. I suspect that most refractors would struggle with that one as well and give a rather gross blob!

I *think* it's reflection rather than OIII emission but I can't be sure! You should have a go with the big scope (Yves mobile is it?) It'd be a great target for that thing. There's an interesting, little, yellowish nebula nearby that you can just about make out, highlighted here:

gallery_5051_1849_53286.jpg

Bet you've got a long list of targets for that beast though ;)

Thanks Mark and Olly!

I *think* it's reflection rather than OIII emission but I can't be sure! You should have a go with the big scope (Yves mobile is it?) It'd be a great target for that thing. There's an interesting, little, yellowish nebula nearby that you can just about make out, highlighted here:

gallery_5051_1849_53286.jpg

Bet you've got a long list of targets for that beast though ;)

It might well be a good one for the Yvesmobile. I'll speak to the boss!

Regarding the name, HaRGB is perfectly accurate but amongst imagers I reckon it's useful to call it HaOSC because that tells all. I've done a fair bit of this and like it a lot as a way of imaging.

Olly

Archived