SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ultra wide field test with new setup

CELESCOPE

Well at last, we are away albeit just a wee test tonight, nothing special, mainly to see how the set up would perform , had a few problems but managed to get sorted , my main objective tonight was to see how the guiding would go, Phd as many have found works a dream , very simple to use, but ole Rog has to do things the hard way , imaging with the Equinox with te 6,3 reducer to get a nice wide field, testing stars right out to the frames edge, but lol guiding at F10 with the C11 , lol need to get my reducer in place i think, guide stars were rather faint , but gave no problem , just a simple guide tonight of 3 min subs , 30 of them, forgot to change my filter ,so an Ha was used when i should have used the CLS which would have given a better image , but never mind it was the stars i was concerned with, and i,m pleased ,and Note Dave , !!NOT BINNED LOL,!!.

So my first image , nothing great , but can only get better,

Rog

forgot ,size reduced

1570_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Set up seems to work well Rog. The reducer/flattener for the Equinox seems to have given you good stars to the edges. On the same test image of M27 I got slight radial coma with the stars in the corners of the image with the ED80 without the reducer/flattener.

PHD works well doesn't it?

I still have to try guiding with PHD and the C8 when I get the off axis guider. The C8 might be better with my F6.3 reducer as well I guess.

Good luck with the new kit!

8)

MD

Now that's what we've been waiting for Rog. Can't wait 'till you swap the cameras round and get a shot through the big 'un. Stuff the reducers, the crab is on the way, get it sorted ready for a shot at M1.

I'm getting all happy that you'll be banging them out in super detail very soon. The CLS would have got that depth in under a minute unbinned, so thats half an hour for the 30 subs, then binned RGB, 30 subs at 30 seconds is 15 minutes a shot, two hours worth of this stuff is a published image!

The best bit is the "lock the door and leave it" for me, you just go back and start shooting again the next time its clear. You're going to love the permanent setup mate, hope you get loads of clear skies to play with.

Kaptain Klevtsov

PS Love the "bar" bit in the sig.

Nice Rog. You are going to do a bit more sparring, and then it's the main event. I want a front row seat for the big one. :lol:

I noticed the bar in your sig. too. Has it got a pool table to put the time in while the autoguiding is going on?

The stars really are text book in this image mate, I am going to have to gen up on this filter business, as they are obviously a major player in this business. Seems such a lot to learn I had better break out Wodaski's CCD Imaging book and get to work.

I can see me spending a lot of time locked in my new Obs. just reading. No distractions in there, I hope :D

I hope everthing has come together nicely for you Rog, you've had a hell of a wait to get there, but it seems you are about ready for blast off now.

All the best. Ron. :D

Thanks guys, yes been an age to get here,i,m amazed at all the wires that have sprung to life in the Dome, lol,

Yes KK looking foward to trying images with the C11,but i do need to use a reducer with the C11 if imaging with the ED80 ,although having said that it did work fine , but need to get brighter and more stars to get the guiding exposure time down to 1 or 2 secs,at the moment that was on3.5 or 4 , i think.

But anyway , the setup seems nicely balanced and performing ok,OHY5 for guiding seems to work well ,

Cheers

Rog

Nice one Rog.

I know you have Maxim and I have found it much better than PHD for guiding. Its just as easy to set up and quicker to get going.

It has the advantage of tracking error graph and alarms and I think sub pixel guiding.

You just have to do a dark for the exposure length.

I tend to use around 4 seconds, if things are good then only about 2.

Connect to camera, expose (will prompt you for a dark) then pick a star with the mouse, calibrate and then track.

Right click and start tracking error graph. If a cloud comes over it gives an alarm.

John

Archived