Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Forecast clear for bonfire night...but it's bonfire night...!

Andymarrison

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm banking on most folks doing their fireworks Saturday night just gone. That's when we had ours and the whole place seemed to go firework crazy for 3 hours. So with a bit of luck that's everyone done. I'll be risking it too....hopefully no spent rocket falling down my newt.

problem is after all the fireworks the atmosphere is usually full of. muck and observing is a no go. But if I'm wrong lien I'll be out there.

Does it really make that much difference? I would have thought the after effects of a few fireworks pales into insignificance compared to the normal background of several million cars, planes, power stations and god knows what else.

I had the OBS open on Saturday night and there were a few going off, some of which I've caught on my wide time-lapse which are quite cool. I suspect some more will be going off tonight, as well as last night, Tuesday, Wednesday and the rest of the week. Up here people aren't too picky as to when and what time to set them off. Last night, or should I say this morning at 01:30 someone was setting them off, sounded like a big display too.

I'm having a go tonight, in fact I even booked tomorrow morning off work so I can stay up extra late to catch Orion. It doesn't clear neighbour's trees until around 1am... even if there is smoke in the air earlier hopefully it would have dispersed by then.

BBC Weather (Yeah, right :tongue: ) says clear here till 1 o/c so I might give it a go, though if it's as "clear" (ie. not) as it's been the last few nights it might not be worth it.

Can but hope the rain's washed some of the clagg out of the air.

If it was like last night then I would need to stay outside just in case it rained / snowed. While it was clear in parts there were an awful lot of heavy snow like clouds floating past. I hope it is clear tonight it should give me enough time to finish my latest pic.

Does it really make that much difference? I would have thought the after effects of a few fireworks pales into insignificance compared to the normal background of several million cars, planes, power stations and god knows what else.

It can do. When 5th November falls on a dry weekend night with the right (wrong?) weather conditions there can be a definite smog seen the next day. Of course where I live is hemmed by hills.....

I will be giving it a go,people up here dont seem that bothered with fireworks still i will leave it untill about 9 before i put the scope out,it looks like it could be a really clear one, here,s hoping clear sky,s everyone :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:

There are bangs all round the shop tonight :mad: some have been overhead. Think I'll need my hard-hat.

It's sort-of clear, but there's a lot of thin high cloud, enough to muck up the viewing.

I dunno, maybe I'll risk a spot of brazen primates :grin:

There are still bangs all around but the sky is a touch better than Friday.

I think I'll wait for Jupiter to get up.

Good job I wasn't trying to look in the Cygnus / Lyra direction. the bloke over the road (Hidden by two rows of houses) put up some humungous fireworks (As he does every year) that exploded exactly on top of Cygnus from my location :mad:

Archived