Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
ronnietucker

First try with black paper

Normally I make the paper dark grey using pencil/charcoal then apply blacks and erase to get white. Here I have to apply white and erase to get black! Agh, my brain! :D

post-20609-0-93801000-1352063633_thumb.j

• Like 5

thats stunning - would love to hear more about the technique you use

• Like 1

Normally I make the paper dark grey using pencil/charcoal then apply blacks and erase to get white. Here I have to apply white and erase to get black! Agh, my brain! :D

haha now I've got used to sketching white on black I cant for the life of me sketch with normal pencils and paper!

Was this all sketched at the EP Ronnie? Its a stunning drawing! :)

• Like 1

I'm afraid it wasn't drawn at the eyepiece. My lowly 130P won't let me get that close to the Moon. I wish it did! It was drawn from a photo I found on Google Images.

As for technique: I used a white pastel pencil to lightly rub some white onto the paper. From there I used a bit of kitchen roll to blend the white into the paper to give me a pale grey on black paper. I used the same white pastel pencil to draw in the white highlights and a kneadable eraser to erase back to the black paper for the shadows. That's about it really. :)

Thanks for all the nice comments!

You could make some money for yourself producing that quality of artwork. Just a thought from a failed freelance artist!

• Like 1

My first scope was a skywatcher explorer 130 Ronnie, you'd be suprised at the detail you can pick out lunar observing on one of those. I use a sort of shorthand shading at the ep, then go inside to tidy it up with a blending stump and pop back out to add finishing touches. Would love to see more of your work, you've got a talent there.

• Like 1

You could make some money for yourself producing that quality of artwork. Just a thought from a failed freelance artist!

I do try to sell my stuff (landscapes, cartoons, etc.). Not having much luck at it, but I'm trying. :)