SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The noise produced by a Canon 1100D at various ISO settings and temperatures

Ags

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1100D of course isn't old...i should have wrote sensor since the 1000D, 1100D and 450D probably share the same sensor with some minor differences when it comes to image processing and possibly the AA filter has been upgraded to a better one.

But the 1100D has a higher bit depth and more megapixels than the 1000D... I'm pretty sure they don't share the same sensor.

Drat Microsoft Windoze 7!!!! :( It's succeeded in deleting all my data from last night while I was trying to copy it :( Now I'm trying to recover the data. It should be on my netbook just marked as deleted. It should also be on the transfer USB drive, marked as deleted, maybe. I should be able to recover it from the USB drive using my Linux recovery software.

It was a good run with 2C EXIF T right up till the end.

I've forgotten how to undelete stuff in Windows :( Anyway, I haven't got time just now.

Just open the recycle bin and right click the files you want back.

Tried that - not there :( Anyway I've downloaded an undelete program. Actually two. The first wanted registering and paying nearly $60 before it would work :( So I downloaded another and that really was free. Had to run it on the netbook since it wouldn't run on Win 7.

Pandora Recovery is now running on the netbook and recovering the deteted files on my 80GB USB drive that I use for thansferring data from netbook (XP) to main desktop (Win 7) - to a folder on drive C:

But the 1100D has a higher bit depth and more megapixels than the 1000D... I'm pretty sure they don't share the same sensor.

You are correct, the 1000D and the 40D share the same sensor while the 450D and 1100D share another sensor.

The bit depth comes from the DIGIC chip in the camera, 40D is 14bit, while the 1000D is 12bit, why there is a difference is unknown to me because both cameras have the same DIGIC chip.

450D has DIGIC III while the 1100D has DIGIC IV which explanins why this camera has a little lower noise and higher iso available.

Last night's darks run is now recovered, copied onto my main desktop and from there to Agnes's USB stick :) Phew!! :D One more night's darks test run and copying over and then I can post Agnes's USB stick back to her :)

So the current state of play looks like this :-

post-13131-0-39635600-1353857157_thumb.p

Well, I'm afraid last night's run didn't work out :( The ambient temperature must have dropped significantly after midnight because the EXIF T reported dropped below the required -6C. I'll have another go tonight hopefully - I'm currently suffering from a bad cold and not feeling up to much :( At least I have a few hours worth of usable data :)

I've just set the cooling up ready for another go at a -6C darks test run tonight. I'll check up which of last night's files are OK and remove those values from the list for tonight.

Well... there's good news and there's bad news...

• The good news is that is the all the data recorded last night showed -6C EXIF T.
  • The bad news is that Win 7 won't read it to copy to HD and USB stick.

So it looks like copying the data using another computer. That's if Win 7 hasn't destroyed the drive. If so I'll have to get the data off the netbook.

Have to say, I'm very disappointed in Win 7 - the user interface is good, taking a lot from Linux, so I feel comfortable with it. Unfortunately Microsoft don't seem to have adopted the security features of Linux - probably because this depends on the file system and MS haven't advanced beyond NTFS.

Anyway, files copied over to my 32MB USB stick and thence to the Win 7 HD and Agnes's USB stick. I think a big backup is in order!

Progress Table :-

post-13131-0-67569600-1354026547_thumb.p

That's the main schedule completed and now I'll be filling in the gaps with the 12m samples. I'm hoping to get the USB stick in the post Thursday, the next time there's postal services in the next village (if I'm feeling up to going out by then or Friday when there's a postal service in our local village). A few years ago we had daily postal services in the villages. Now it's just once a week here for 2 hours and twice a week for 5 hours in the next village over the border into Somerset.

I've set up for the 12m darks at each ISO for 0C tonight and thet's currently running well.

Last night's 0C 12m darks data run went perfectly with all 28 samples EXIF T of 0C :) I have copied the files to HD and to Agnes's USB stick. That's one more cell of the table filled :)

post-13131-0-21543600-1354100335_thumb.p

Archived