SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The noise produced by a Canon 1100D at various ISO settings and temperatures

Ags

My Canon 1000D has fairly awful non-random read-noise structure at ISO800 which is not present at ISO1600. I then read somewhere that Canon use different circuitry on the camera to generate ISO1600 than for their lower ISOs - so this might explain the differing noise behaviour.

NigelM

I think davew's link has a more likely explanation - one set of circuitry, but different mathematical hacks on the raw data at different ISOs.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oddly the biggest problem I had was renaming the files (I kept making stupid mistakes and scrambling the results).

Did you know that exiftool can rename the files for you?:

exiftool "-filename<%f_${ISO}_${Cameratemperature}.%e" -n DIR

- Phil

Yep, I saw that - but i had to read the RAW files and rename the corresponding TIFF files. It should have been easy, what could go wrong :-))

Just add this before the "-filename<..." argument in the exiftool command: -ext tiff -tagsfromfile %d%f.cr2

Have set up APT to take a series of dark subs as follows :- (secs ISO) pause of 2 count of 4

1. . 60. .100
  2. 120. .100
  3. 240. .100
  4. 480. .100
  5. . 60. .200
  6. 120. .200
  7. 240. .200
  8. 480. .200
  9. . 60. .400
  10. 120. .400
  11. 240. .400
  12. 480. .400
  13. . 60. .800
  14. 120. .800
  15. 240. .800
  16. 480. .800
  17. . 60.1600
  18. 120.1600
  19. 240.1600
  20. 480.1600
  21. . 60.3200
  22. 120.3200
  23. 240.3200
  24. 480.3200
  25. . 60.6400
  26. 120.6400
  27. 240.6400
  28. 480.6400

1. The above test dark plan will take about 7 hours according to APT - presumably allowing for pauses and time to read the sensor data.
  2. This plan will be run for a set-point temperature of :- -10, -8, -6, -4, -2, 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 Celsius.
  3. Unless I find and fix the light leak into my camera box this will be one run per night, making 12 nights. Fortunately this doesn't need clear nights or even fine nights :D

On the contrary - it needs horrible nights where there is no hope of doing real imaging :-)

It will be interesting to feed this data into the app. My guess is that imaging at very high ISOs will gain from very low temperatures.

On the contrary - it needs horrible nights where there is no hope of doing real imaging :-)

Absolutely, and we have plenty of those :D It's good to have the equipment actually doing something useful :)
It will be interesting to feed this data into the app. My guess is that imaging at very high ISOs will gain from very low temperatures.
This is what I would expect but when I cooled to -10C with a real image run the noise was still noticeable :( I have a nasty suspicion that Canon do some adjustments to the data before outputing it to the RAW CR2 file. Either that or the electronics/sensor don't like -10C. I would like to do some signal tests at various temperatures. That will need some thinking about.

I've started tonight's run at 0C for no other reason than that was what I had the set-point temperature set to. I've added some 30s subs to the beginning of the darks run to make sure the EXIF T is running at the desired value. The set-point temperature was designed to be constant to within a few tenths of a degree.

Hi Agnes, I was thinking I may do +10C tomorrow night or I can do any other temperature. I can do runs at whichever temperatures are most useful for your analysis first, and leave less important ones until later.

I think do the extremes of the range, and then work back to fill in the gaps - that way if something goes wrong halfway through the testing, we still have a complete range with a few gaps.

I think do the extremes of the range, and then work back to fill in the gaps - that way if something goes wrong halfway through the testing, we still have a complete range with a few gaps.

Yes, that's what I thought would be best. If we get very cold weather it might not be possible to get the higher temperatures so I'll do +12 tomorrow, then -10, +6, -6, +8, etc. Or something like that.

Darks run as above at 0C EXIF T completed overnight. Ready to do the run again at 12C tonight unless the clouds miraculously clear and I can manage an imaging run :D

Yup! Last night saw a mainly 12C run - a small number of 13s but that's as near as I could get. The reading only has a 1 degree resolution any way. Tonight I plan to do a -10C run.

During the day yesterday I didn't turn it off and when I went to set up last night I found it had picked up a glitch and the MODE was at MAX and temperature was -20C :eek: Took quite a while before it warmed up enough for the run :D I was tempted to do the -10C run but stuck to the schedule :)

Interesting he uses ImageJ - I am planning on moving to that library eventually... There is a lot of good information there which will take a while to sink in, but one thing I did notice that has to be wrong was the advice to cool the camera for fifteen minutes between the dark exposures. Especially when shooting a 10 minute dark, this will result in the exact opposite of stable temperatures. It will lead to maximum thermal instability (with only matching starting temperatures). What is instead required is to have the chip at thermal equilibrium, which means continuous shooting for an extended time at a realistic ambient temperature (certainly not room temperature).

I've started reading that article - I'll carry on later - it's quite heavy going. I agree about the cooling down business - you want a constant temperature. And, of course, as near as possible to the conditions used for the lights.

BTW. My -10C darks run is currebtly well under way.

Completed the -10C run overnight and saved it. Tonight I had a short imaging run but then it clouded up and rained a bit. Since then it's cleared and clouded up and cleared and clouded up again etc. so I've given up and set up the next darks test run at +6C.

Archived