SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The age of reason

I imagine most of us make mistakes when writing up posts, spelling errors, grammatical mistakes, that kind of thing which are handy to tidy up if we click the post button too early. I also imagine that sometimes we say something or post up a link to some site which although well-meaning isn't exactly in accord with the SGL agreement we all clicked on and by inference all agreed upon. I myself have made these types of errors - which I think are often committed unknowingly - and with a polite message from the admin guys, a little reminder that this is a family site everything can be sorted out in a giffy.

But there are always some folk who knowingly abuse the system. They may, for example, surrender rude and offensive posts to other posters and then quickly edit them before admin can sort out this snide behaviour. Thus, a limit is set on the edit button which I think is absolutely fair play and personally I don't think is a stupid rule. I think the edit-limit teaches us all to maintain the excellent standards of SGL and not bring it down to gutter level. After all, this is an astronomy site fit for all folk in life regardless of their creed, colour, race or religion.

But there are always some folk who knowingly abuse the system. They may, for example, surrender rude and offensive posts to other posters and then quickly edit them before admin can sort out this snide behaviour.

Admin and/or the Mod team do not miss those "hit and run" comments. They are so on the ball that such comments are removed so quickly that none (or not very many) of the rest of us have time to read them.

I personally think the Mod team on SGL do an exceptional job. They are quick off the mark when they see a comment that goes against the CoC and they dont make a big issue of it in public. They send a PM to the person concerned and give the reason for deleting/editing a certain post.

I've been sent a few PM's about comments i have posted and been reminded that they are outside of the SGL CoC.

It is a non-political and non-religious forum.

It is a family forum.

I was justly banned for a month because of a comment i made that had political undertones. I learned my lesson.

What was the question again?

LOL.

But there are always some folk who knowingly abuse the system. They may, for example, surrender rude and offensive posts to other posters and then quickly edit them before admin can sort out this snide behaviour.

Admin and/or the Mod team do not miss those "hit and run" comments. They are so on the ball that such comments are removed so quickly that none (or not very many) of the rest of us have time to read them.

I personally think the Mod team on SGL do an exceptional job. They are quick off the mark when they see a comment that goes against the CoC and they dont make a big issue of it in public. They send a PM to the person concerned and give the reason for deleting/editing a certain post.

I've been sent a few PM's about comments i have posted and been reminded that they are outside of the SGL CoC.

It is a non-political and non-religious forum.

It is a family forum.

I was justly banned for a month because of a comment i made that had political undertones. I learned my lesson.

What was the question again?

LOL.

Tsk, Tsk Paul

Intriguing, we'd all love to know what that is now, but I know we can't..........

Well I've been on a few forums over the years for various pastimes/hobbies and I have to say that SGL is the best run and has the nicest collection of likeminded people I have ever met online :)

+1

One or two I visit (Occasionally now) have so much negativity and bile, even without politics / religion that they've become unpleasent to vist. I only do so for information.

edit, "there" for "their" and I think username is one word. I'll get to 250 by hook or by crook. :angel9:

Lots of folks never learnt the difference between their, there and they´re - your and you´re, two, too and to. They should OF learnt this at school. LOL

Archived