Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which filters do i need for imaging various objects advice

I posted this in the Imaging section by mistake very sorry.

Hi everyone on this sunny Sunday :-), i was going to order my new bits last night:-

DMK 21AU618.AS

Opticstar Manual Colour Filter Wheel (it has 5 positions plus 3 adapters) a powered is too expensive at the moment for me at this time.

I then realised how many filtters there were & i need some advice for the correct ones for me, i will be imaging Planets, DSO's through 600D & probably Solar & Lunar.

Can you use some of the filters for Planets & DSO's ?

Found these so far:-

1) Filters - Opticstar 1.25" High Transparency LRGB Imaging Filters £99.00

Specs :- High transparency filters are placed within a thin metal ring with a full 26mm clear aperture that threads into the barrel of any standard 1.25" eyepiece or filter wheel that can accept 1.25" filters.

Each filter is threaded at both ends to accept another filter if required. Filters come inside individual plastic cases with a transparent window.

All filters are IR blocked which is important when imaging.

Filter Transparency:

Clear: 95% (with Infra Red Block)

Red: 94% (with Infra Red Block)

Green: 92% (with Infra Red Block)

Blue: 91% (with Infra Red Block)

OR

Opticstar 1.25" LRGbB Imaging Filters £39.95 (seemed too cheap)

OR

Baader RGB Filter Set with IR Cut £73.00 from FLO's site :- '

An affordable set of quality absorptive 1.25" filters with high transmission.

Includes Red, Green, Blue and IR block'

OR

Baader RGB Filter Set with IR Cut CCD SET £198.00 from FLO's site :-

'A NEW line of premium quality Baader LRGBC filters that compliment Baader's narrowband emission line filters (H-beta/OIII/H-alpha/SII).

Elaborate anti-reflection coatings, planeoptically polished to 1/4 wave and parfocal.

Note: The LRGB filters include IR-block coatings so the clear filter is necessary if you wish to image the full spectrum, including IR, otherwise you need only order the LRGB filters. All the filters, including the clear filter, are very nearly parfocal so there is little or no need to refocus between filter changes.'

Hi Andy, glad i'm not the only one :-), have you read the Primer on LRGB by Martin yet ? if not then i think you should do as it helps to understand it a little more but you still need knowleds in using processing software as well.

I'm looking forward to the advice though as it's a deciding factor on which CCD i get DMK 21AU618.AS or DFK 21AU618.AS Colour (dbk AS WELL?), the other thing that concerns me is this 60 FPS shooting but ONLY if the object is bright enough, does that mean that i could be shooting at max 30 FPS ? wouldnt it be prudent to get a different CCD all together then ?

Good question:) I do a fair amount of budget imaging although I only have one filter at the moment which is the Skywatcher LP filter:

http://www.firstligh...on-imaging.html

I've got the 1.25" which does a good job for the price, not that I can use it anymore since I've added a 0.8 reducer/flattener to my scope, so I could also do will leaning more about filters:)

I would recommend the SW LP filter above though it definately reduced my light polution gradients on my images so thats my two pence worth:D

Archived