Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

jonstarrysky

East Herts Astronomers ?

Hello, all just (re)introducing myself as a star gazer in Bishop's Stortford. I'm keen to find dark(er) sky sites within 1hr drive for observing, and perhaps finding like-minded astronomers who might be interested in meeting (safety in numbers !) to observe. Nearest club is based in Braintree, so not that convenient.

Hi, I'm also in Stortford....always interested in finding other "Stortford Stargazers" ...... PM me if you want to arrange something.... Going to go to the NEAS stargazing event this saturday if the sky is good enough.

Hello, all just (re)introducing myself as a star gazer in Bishop's Stortford. I'm keen to find dark(er) sky sites within 1hr drive for observing, and perhaps finding like-minded astronomers who might be interested in meeting (safety in numbers !) to observe. Nearest club is based in Braintree, so not that convenient.

Assuming you're talking about the NEAS, we aren't based in Braintree...we aren't really based anywhere in particular! (we do use the Great Notley Country Park for public stargazing nights however)

...there are a few members from Stortford direction.

Edited by Dave Dubya

Always interested in meeting locally with any fellow stargazers. Get in touch if you are interested in meetups. Me and my Astro buddy to stick to our back Gardens.Like johmstarrysky, on the lookout for a local dark site

1. hey thanks for the replies folks and correcting me about NEAS. I plan to join that group. pm sent to Sam about possible future Stortford area meet up. clear skies !

Hey guys, I'm also from stortford. Do you guys know anywhere close, maybe half hours walk from St Michael's Mead which are fairly dark? I don't have a car and will have to load the dob onto a trolley thing I have to bring it out...

Hi

ive used the thorley church car park. It's not ideal, but walking distance from st micks mead

me and my mate are mainly garden based, always on the lookout for a nice accessible dark site

That sounds alright, thanks for that mate, I'll go check it out soon. The problem is we have Harlow/London directly south, Stansted Airport East and Cambrigde North!! There is no hope of any properly good skies around where we are. I have friends that live in Claverng and its quite nice down there. I haven't dragged the scope down there yet but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too bad around there

That sounds alright, thanks for that mate, I'll go check it out soon. The problem is we have Harlow/London directly south, Stansted Airport East and Cambrigde North!! There is no hope of any properly good skies around where we are. I have friends that live in Claverng and its quite nice down there. I haven't dragged the scope down there yet but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too bad around there

Call

Callum, I agree with what u say, stortford area ain't so hot for stargazing. Comparing various UK maps of light pollution there is agreement re a horseshoe shaped band of land around haverill that will give darker skies. The challenge wld be finding a suitable observing area here and the drive. If anyone is keen to explore or meetup, pls pm me.

Clavering area will be reasonable, a bit more polluted

Hey guys, always keen to find new sites and meet fellow gazers. Any of you going to astro fest next Saturday ?

Ah darn it. I was going to go but I had loads of coursework to do :S. How was/is it?

Was excellent. There was a really good session at the end remembering Patrick Moore. I also bumped into some local NAES members.

Callum, try to get up to great notley park on Saturday night, weather permitting. The NAES will be having their monthly star party. Unfortunately, I can't make it, going skiing.