Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Forum Tidyup

Hi all,

We have had a little forum tidy up to make the homepage easier and quicker to navigate. Nothing has been removed or deleted but things may be in slightly different places.

We have also expanded the beginners sections as some of the feedback we have received shows that beginners sometimes feel intimated to post in the main imaging and discussion area - by having a dedicated beginners area of the forum we hope to encourage more beginners to come to SGL to ask for help and support from us and for us to be able to help foster and support an interest in the night sky even more.

Cheers,

Grant

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback guys - if anybody has any other suggestions for ways we can improve SGL then we are always happy to listen - I cannot promise we will carry out the suggestions but we always listen :) Either post in the suggestions area or feel free to PM me directly...

Thanks for the feedback guys - if anybody has any other suggestions for ways we can improve SGL then we are always happy to listen - I cannot promise we will carry out the suggestions but we always listen :) Either post in the suggestions area or feel free to PM me directly...

Will the huge mountain of topics in what was the Beginners Help and Advice be moved into the other sections (a huge job by anyone's standards), or will you leave it how it is? :angel:

Is there somewhere that shows where things have moved to, "Heads Up" for a start?

Heads ups were still quite often posted in the Astro lounge, so the heads up forum has been merged into there and the description for astro lounge updated to include heads up - if this doesn't work then we will rethink...

Will the huge mountain of topics in what was the Beginners Help and Advice be moved into the other sections (a huge job by anyone's standards), or will you leave it how it is? :angel:

Good question - your right that would be a huge job so we will probably just let things naturally develop from now on in the new sections and leave the old topics in the general beginners help and advice section....

Main concern would be that people post in the first place that looks like a possibility. I would expect therefore that quite a few people will post in the Getting Started Equipment Help and Advice and not bother elsewhere.

Before this occurred I read 4 or 5 posts in Beginners asking about eyepieces, but no one had took the time to post in the Equipment Eyepiece section.

The first post is one asking about eyepieces in the Getting Started/Equipment section.

Sure I read a few people asking for a Beginners Imaging?

Some of whom have been imaging 3, 4 or 5 years.

It seems that having a sort of multiple choice of where to post results in posts everywhere, irrespective of the subject or question.

There no longer appears to be a quick way into one of my favourite forums from the homepage (DIY Observatories).

It's now only accessable after visiting the DIY astronomy section first. I know it was always a subforum, however my worry is that people will not visit it as much now.

It is one of those things that takes a bit of time for an old guy like me to get used to.. I am a bit of a change-o-phobe (Is that a word?)

Once in a comfort zone I like to stay there. I can see the differences (I can't find the Heads up for example) But I can't really see the improvements (or opposite) It is different, but neither better nor worse really. (My own opinion by the way.)

I like the way the forum has been organised now, but if I'm been picky, the physical layout now seems wrong to me.

It seems very 'left side heavy' and too spaced out. I'm struggling to put into words what I mean!

When I first opened the homepage I thought my browser or computer was throwing a wobbler.

Perhaps if the title and description of each section was on the left, and the number of topics/replies was on the right. To condense things slightly?

Archived